CAN I SUE MY LANDLORD !!!?

I TOLD MY LANDLORD THAT MY DISHWASHER IS LEAKING ALL OVER THE KITCHEN FLOOR AND THE AC IS LEAKING ALSO MY BATHROOM FLOOR IS SINKING IN THE FLOOR THEY JUST REPAIRED, MY LANDLORD SAYS STOP USING THE DISHWASHER BUT TO MY ROOMMATE HAS A MENTAL PROBLEM SO THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND NOT TO USE IT AGAIN SO ONE MORNING I WENT INTO THE KITCHEN AND SLIP AND BROKE MY LEG IN THREE SPOTS SO CAN I SUE MY LANDLORD?

• Big Al
    Best Answer

Sounds like you should talk to a lawyer. You need to take a copy of your lease along with any documentation that you have regarding your conversations. Even if it is just a note book with dates and times that you spoke about particular issues. Be sure to pay your rent in full and on time. Don't give your landlord any excuse to kick you out.

Also contact the insurance company that paid your medical bills. I'm sure that they would love to go after your landlord for the money that they had to pay our to fix your leg.

You should be able to sue for pain & suffering, lost wages, medical bills (co-pays & other items not covered by your insurance), and a few other things that your lawyer can think of.

Landlords typically have "umbrella" insurance policies that cover them for things like this. Chances are, they will settle out of court.

To sue for slander, you will need to show that what was said has caused you monetary loss, as in not getting a job or being turned down for an new apartment. You will also need to show that what was said was indeed false. If the same landlord has refused to do necessary mauntenance, you can sue for that, but again, you have the burden of proof. You must show that the landlord was aware of the need for repairs and that he/ she did not make those repairs in a reasonable time or fashion. In the cas eof the repairs, you would have to again show financial loss to get any money settlement.

• ?

Sounds like you should sue your roommate if the landlord said not to use the dishwasher. ACs drip if they are running. The landlord should prorate your rent until the dishwasher is fixed, but aside from that, I don't see how he is liable. The bathroom floor sounds like a minor problem.

Ask your landlord if you are covered under his homeowner's insurance.

Sure you can sue the landlord. Will it do you any good, no because you knew it was broken and your roommate used it any way. Sue the roommate. As for the medical bills if you have rental insurance like you should have it will pay for the injury and other bills.

• AG

Um yeah you can. For the injury and also for not repairing the things in the apartment that were broken. They can't just tell you not to use it when it's broken, part of renting rather than owning is not having to worry about paying extra for maintenance.

• Nick

No. Typical lazy *** looking for easy money. Your landlord told you not to use it until he could get it fixed. It's not your landlord's fault your roommate is retarded.

Yes you may have grounds to recover expenses of broken leg on their premises, due to lack of maintenance of equipment. See an attorney.

Yes, You can. But I think both you and your roommate are also responsible for this. Be conscious. Accidents can happen at any time.

Of course, its your landlords responsibility to maintain your apartment. If you had not mentioned it to him you might have had a problem, but by you mentioning it to him and him not doing anything is a different story.

I would break my other leg up his ***! I would stop paying rent till he fix all the problems. Get a lawyer and sue him, but he is provably broke that's why he is not fixing all those problems.