Can someone decipher the provisional pathology report for my stillborn son?

Caucasian male stillborn, estimated gestational age 33 weeks and 5 days. Height=51cm, weight=2165g. Extensive autolysis of organs No signs of abnormalities Placenta weight=443g Plancental parenchyma unremarkable,no signs of hemmorhage and infarct Fetal membranes with evidence of meconium staining Three vessel umbilical cord with edematous and erythematous dilitation, 7.5 cm from placental origin Umbilical cord with 1.2 cm black area of hemmorhage adjacent to umbilicus. Respiratory system: Signs of bilateral hemmorhage or congestion (histology pending) Cardiovascular system: Pending Central Nervous System: Brain weight=308g Extensive autolysis Meningeal hemmorhage Subgaleal hemmorhage (7cm), and cephalhematoma

Just for the record I have had 4 other children. This was my 5th pregnancy and was supposed to be my last. I saw my high risk OB exactly 5 days before this happened. I told her I wanted another ultrasound. She said it wasn't needed so we scheduled my repeat c-section for September 16th. But I went to the ER on August 25th and my son had no heartbeat and the ultrasound showed no abnormalities. I know sometimes things just happen. But this was not my first pregnancy.

I was sent for an emergency c-section and my son whom I named Marshall was 6 pounds 14 ounces which is bigger than all my other children. I cremated him and had a service for him within my church community. I have never miscarried, never had an abortion, and I have a 12 year old, 7 year old, 6 year old, and 3 year old all whom were born prematurely but lived. Could this have been prevented...

• embi40
    Favorite Answer

"Autolysis" refers to the tissues breaking down and destroying themselves as is normal for them to do when the cells are dead. This means when your fetus, your son, dies in utero, the tissues started to break down. The hemorrhaging indicates bleeding at several sites - no cause for any of the bleeding is reported it could have happened before or after your baby died and the pending cardiovascular/CNS results may provide more answers.

In many cases the reason for the fetal demise is not known- our bodies our designed to automatically self-abort a fetus that is not developing normally. But as that abnormality can be on a cellular or genetic level, testing and pathology may not always be able to find an answer. Medical science is good- but it's not omnipotent and all-knowing.

My condolences on your loss. Once you have all the detail of the path report in I'd suggest asking your MD if you and your spouse/partner should have genetic testing done.

Source(s): I'm an RN