Can someone decipher the provisional pathology report for my stillborn son?

Caucasian male stillborn, estimated gestational age 33 weeks and 5 days. Height=51cm, weight=2165g. Extensive autolysis of organs No signs of abnormalities Placenta weight=443g Plancental parenchyma unremarkable,no signs of hemmorhage and infarct Fetal membranes with evidence of meconium staining Three vessel umbilical cord with edematous and erythematous dilitation, 7.5 cm from placental origin Umbilical cord with 1.2 cm black area of hemmorhage adjacent to umbilicus. Respiratory system: Signs of bilateral hemmorhage or congestion (histology pending) Cardiovascular system: Pending Central Nervous System: Brain weight=308g Extensive autolysis Meningeal hemmorhage Subgaleal hemmorhage (7cm), and cephalhematoma

I was sent for an emergency c-section and my son whom I named Marshall was 6 pounds 14 ounces which is bigger than all my other children. I cremated him and had a service for him within my church community. I have never miscarried, never had an abortion, and I have a 12 year old, 7 year old, 6 year old, and 3 year old all whom were born prematurely but lived. Could this have been prevented...

Just for the record I have had 4 other children. This was my 5th pregnancy and was supposed to be my last. I saw my high risk OB exactly 5 days before this happened. I told her I wanted another ultrasound. She said it wasn't needed so we scheduled my repeat c-section for September 16th. But I went to the ER on August 25th and my son had no heartbeat and the ultrasound showed no abnormalities. I know sometimes things just happen. But this was not my first pregnancy.

Favorite Answer

First, I am very sorry for your loss. My daughter was stillborn 22 yrs ago (12/5/87). I was in a very bad car accident when I was 34 weeks pregnant. Some of the wording is similar to her's. I know that the black area of hemorrhage adjacent to umbilicus is part of the umbilical cord that show that is separated and form a clot..this prevents oxygen from getting to the baby, hence the respiratory congestion.

As others have posted, please ask either your doctor or the pediatrician that was in attendance.

Also, look into support groups that deal with the loss of a child at birth (yes they are different from support groups of older children's deaths).

Try to be strong, cry when you need to, and get rest... the first year of loss is the hardest.

Please feel free to email me if you would like to talk.

Source(s): Mom to 5, my daughter stillborn 12/5/87 and then my other children 3 boys ages 20, 18 and 18 (yes twins) and my daughter 14
  • luzell

i'm very sorry for you loss. I too misplaced my little one Lairah Zane at 7 months precisely. on april twenty eighth 2009 she used to be a stillborn. i have no idea approximately Australia however in the usa we did not even get a beginning certificates. all we acquired used to be a "certificates of stillbirth" i understand how you believe approximately clouser and the way folks say you had a miscarriage. its now not the equal i do know i used to be in exertions for 10 hours and needed to provide like a traditional however ask your healthcare professional or the funeral dwelling that you just used that is what i did and i used to be equipped to get a demise certificates however you need to move via each in view that legally the healthcare professional has to affirm the demise .. a minimum of in the usa. once more im sorry to your loss and that i real understand your ache. i'm nonetheless handling melancholy however i believe like im doing higher. it simply takes time i suppose...well good fortune

Were you able to ask your doctor? They should explain it to you. I am soo sorry for your huge loss :(

take care

prayers are with you

Source(s): mama of an 18 mo. old baby girl and baby girl #2 due 4-5-10

This is a question you need to ask your doctor to explain.

I'm sorry for your loss.