Two questions: Power of Attorney and seeking asylum at an Embassy?

Regarding the Power of Attorney:

If the person that has designated you the Power of Attorney for general causes, can they still speak for you if you are medically incapacitated (ie a car accident, coma, etc)

Regarding Seeking Asylum at an Embassy:

If you are in the United States on a visa and are wrongfully convicted of a crime, can you seek temporary asylum at your country's embassy?


Regarding Seeking Asylum:

Substitute visa with green card/work permit.

2 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    1) No.

    Only a medical power of attorney would give you the right to make medical decisions for the incapacitated person.

    2) Yes, in theory.

    However, the embassies of most countries would not allow it. In almost all cases they will defer to the ruling of the court that convicted you.


  • 1 decade ago

    1) No. They would have to have named you the MEDICAL Power of Attorney.

    2) Yes, you can "seek" it, but they have the right to study your case (maybe in a matter of minutes) and then either accept or discard it. If the former, they will help you (get you legal help, etc.). If the latter, they will just escort you out the gate... and you're on your own.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.