Why is the mona lisa so valuable when it is a picture of a slightly ugly woman?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Leonardo da Vinci did not make very many paintings.

Scarcity [his paintings are rare] with desirability [he is really famous] = value.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There are a number of reasons that the Mona Lisa is such a respected painting:

Firstly, the main element of this paintings uniqueness is the ambiguity in the woman's expression, which has intrigues critics for centuries.

- The aerial perspective of the background (which was imaginary) was basically a first.

- The immense detail of the background is also nothing short of spectacular.

- The layout and concept of the work (an the interaction between the figure and the background) is highly regarded as genius.

For any art student, or actually any person that is willing to completely immerse them self in the work will be able to see the beauty and achievement, particularly as it was in some way "ground breaking" at the time.

All those who have commented before me are extremely deluded and pathetic!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

During its time the Mona Lisa was a first of its kind. Women depicted in portraits prior to the Mona Lisa did not look directly out at the viewer. During the Renaissance it was considered wrong for a woman to talk to a man other than her brother, father, or husband. This belief was reflected in the way portraits of women were done by not having them look out at the viewer, they didn't want these women's eyes used as an invitation to men, who were the ones that bought and mainly looked at artworks. Leonardo was known for breaking boundaries and inventing new ways of doing things. He decided to paint Mona Lisa looking right at the viewer, with that infamous coy smile. After he made that painting it was so popular that people started changing the way they wanted portraits of women done.

Also, during that time the Mona Lisa was actually considered very attractive. The image of ideal beauty from that period was of a woman with a high forehead, pail skin, and blond hair. The women would often shave their eyebrows and hairline to extend their forehead. Shaved eyebrows are far from attractive today. Also, the Mona Lisa does not have the ideal blond hair or pail skin that can be found in portraits of women before this painting. This was another boundary Leonardo pushed, changing the ideal beauty from fair skinned and light hair, thus showing that a woman could be attractive with darker hair and skin as well.

So to answer your question, the reason why it was and still is so valuable today is because not only is it made by Leonardo, one of the greatest artists and inventors of all time, but also this painting broke so many rules, and is in fact a wonderful painting. There is much more to it than what I just described, for example there is also a lot of aesthetic value and innovative techniques created by Leonardo in this image, like his sfumato effect, but I'm not going to go into all of that. Just wanted to give you an (relatively short) answer.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The best paintings are the ones that capture real life as accurate as possible. The fame behind the Mona Lisa is that Leonardo da Vinci was having a hard time to get the poser to pose with a smile. He grew frustrated with the poser and left it unfinished. He then completed the portrait by assuming how certain body parts positioning would compliment with what was already on the canvas, including her smile. It's fame is a combination of the finished expression with the story behind the work.

Many of us painters have to alter what we see from a poser in order to have it come out just right.

Source(s): Pro Painter since 1982. Began at the age of 7.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Star
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I thought I was the only one who thought that way. The Mona Lisa is very manly looking. She is not a particularly pretty woman. What's so special about her? She looks like a man in drag.

• 1 decade ago

Why cant people just answer the affronted Question? instead of going on on on on about absoloutley nonseense! Look at the Question!

Answer it ! Simple! Because it is desired by so many ! Like ME

Source(s): STB
  • 1 decade ago

mainly the SMILE of the monalisa attracted many. they dais the painted smile was very unsual and awsome. it took leonardo 12 years just to paint her smile !!!

and bcuz it's old and by the famous inventorLeonardo Davinci

• 1 decade ago

probably because art critics are weird... and that Leonardo da vichic ( yes i know i cant spell) made it and he also thought of the idea of a tank and a helicopter before there were invented...

• 1 decade ago

I think it's because some people have more money than sense. My kids have painted prettier pictures than that!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's better than looking at your mom.

Just kidding, it's because it was painted by that TMNT guy.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.