I keep hearing that health care is so expensive but...?

Yes, we have 3 kids.

Damn it, my details got switched AGAIN. Y!A hates me. Lol.

My husband and I were able to get family coverage through Blue Cross & Blue Shield for less than $200/mo. when he was laid off and we BOTH smoke. If we didn't, it would have been even cheaper than that. How is it that people can't afford this? I mean, I can see why if you are really dirt-poor you couldn't but I wouldn't call that exorbitant by any means. Besides, if you are THAT poor, you qualify for Medicaid or FAMIS.

Is it that insurance through your job is so expensive or what? I'm not asking this to be facetious, I really do want to know.

Yo It's Me: Makes you sick after awhile, doesn't it?

Actually it was pretty good coverage. It was their Anthem plan.

Privacy: No, that was completely out of pocket, not through his job or mine. And we would NEVER have gotten COBRA.

Best Answer

There are loads with pre-existing conditions who are priced out of getting insurance. And I hope you are not one of those subject to an (un)insurance company death panel that tries to stop you getting treatment if you need it.

It surprises me that so many Americans seem not to be aware about Obama’s healthcare plans [a]. During the election, he campaigned for these changes stating that he felt it was unfair to have a system where insurance companies try to escape paying claims and was elected to bring in changes [b].

First of all, too many people do not know that Obama wants to make insurance more available to all. His system is similar to that which works in Holland, Taiwan [c] and Switzerland. It works there and private healthcare companies provide most the insurance to the people there.

FACT - the USA spends more on healthcare PER PERSON than any other nation on the planet [d].

FACT – insurance companies admit that they push up costs, buy politicians and do not pay out for many claims when they should [e].

FACT - the US has higher death rates for kids aged under five than western European countries with universal health coverage [f].

That means that a dead American four year old would have had a better chance of life if they were born in Canada, France, the Netherlands, Cuba, Switzerland, Germany, Japan etc, all of which have universal health coverage. And no western European nation with universal healthcare has moved away from it. And the sad thing is, that the insurance companies have spent loads of money to fight these reforms [g] and loads of politicians are taking the thirty pieces of silver from them to fight the reforms, rather than fight for the health of the American people.

Remember, I back my facts up with evidence. Those who say they are wrong tend not to. If they are wrong, e-mail me with proof and let me know.

I imagine that you and your husbands employers are contributing towards your insurance for now. You are qualified for COBRA since you both were laid off. And to qualify for Medicaid and/or FAMIS is different by States. Persons working for non profits may not get unemployment benefits since non profits are "exempt" from having to provide or pay in to unemployment insurance. $200 or a little under sounds too good to be true. And with no unemployment insurance or other form of inome it may still be too much.

Comparison of Employer-Sponsored Insurance Family Premium Growth to Wage Growth

1999-2009

State Premium Growth (%) Wage growth (%)

Alaska 145 35

Oregon 139 39

Indiana 136 42

Connecticut 135 55

District of Columbia 133 46

Delaware 132 42

Arizona 132 45

Wyoming 130 55

Washington 129 46

Minnesota 128 48

Tennessee 126 49

West Virginia 123 39

Rhode Island 122 38

Florida 121 43

Maine 120 35

Alabama 119 40

Iowa 119 45

Massachusetts 119 35

New Hampshire 119 45

Nebraska 118 53

California 118 44

New Mexico 118 50

Arkansas 117 32

North Carolina 117 36

South Carolina 116 39

Vermont 114 38

Colorado 114 46

Georgia 113 39

Utah 113 44

Mississippi 112 46

Missouri 112 46

Kentucky 111 42

Pennsylvania 110 50

Montana 110 44

Virginia 109 41

Wisconsin 108 30

Ohio 108 40

Hawaii 107 37

Kansas 105 39

New York 105 44

South Dakota 104 33

Illinois 103 45

North Dakota 101 37

Texas 100 41

Nevada 97 43

Maryland 96 44

Oklahoma 96 47

Idaho 96 43

New Jersey 95 38

Louisiana 89 44

Michigan 88 52

Premium data obtained from the Center for Financing, Access and Cost Trends, AHRQ, Medical Expenditure Panel Survey - Insurance Component, 1999, Table II.D.1 and the Center for Financing, Access and Cost Trends, AHRQ, Medical Expenditure Panel Survey - Insurance Component, 2008, Table X.D. Premiums for 2009 were projected from 2008 based on Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, “National Health Expenditure Data.”

3 Wage data is from NBER extracts of MORG and available at http://www.nber.org/more/annual.

Lack of Competition

http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/patients/articles/...

Source(s): Former non-profit employee, no plasma t.v., cell phone, car, cable/satalite service (converter box only) and no insurance since 2005.
  • mstess

My sister and her family were transferred to Colorado from Canada for his job. Before they could accept the job, they had to make sure they could get health coverage. You see, my sister is a breast cancer survivor and has MS. They did find coverage for $800.00 a month for their family of four. Her husbands buisness matched their premium. That's $1600.00 a month. Seriously, how many people can afford that? My sister is very well off, but I know most people could never afford that.

They are now back in Canada after 8 years. Their health care premiums are under $100.00 a month. There is no such thing here as a pre-existing condition. There is no deductible, and there is no such thing as a co-pay.

Self-Insured. Husband, wife, 3 children. $516/month. Policy has no ceiling with a high deductible. Both my wife and I are seniors (not SS age yet). My wife has been denied coverage twice. It's a decent policy. We still have out of pocket. If some financially draining long-term illness comes up...that's where the no ceiling comes in. It's an insurance policy....not food stamps. I have the same as you...BC/BS.

Sounds like you have a reasonable policy. Better hope so. Congress....the ones so concerned about your health....just voted down extension of Cobra coverage for the unemployed.

If your coverage is that inexpensive, you will have an enormous co-pay if you ever need to have anything major done at the hospital. Also, your insurance costs less because of your age.

Not everyone can afford $200 a month, and very few could afford the co-pay if something was to go down under that type of plan.

• Me

My husband works for a large corporate bank. Makes decent money for the area of the country we live in. We have Blue Cross Blue Shield. Family coverage, with a low deductible. We have 90/10 coverage. Sounds like decent coverage right? . Right now we are paying $18,820 a yr for our medical insurance, not counting deductibles, co pays. Both my husband and I have some pretty significant medical issues...that require frequent trips to the doctors..and often to specialist. We have a 15 yr old daughter who is mentally retarded and has some other health issues. We have a son who was born with a club foot and requires ortho appointments on a regular basis. It is getting to the point that we are drowning under co pays at this point. No seriously. Just our out of pocket is bankrupting us.

Now we are decent people. We do not own fancy cars (have never owned a new car in my life) or plasma TVs, or fancy cell phones. (we do have a prepaid cell phone in case of emergencies since we do tend to drive used cars) We do not go on trips abroad. (My husband is British, and his own family has never met our baby..and he is a yr old) We make too much for Medicaid..not to mention as an immigrant my husband is restricted from using public benefits.

Since my family does not fit into your (conservative republican) criteria...we support ourselves, and we pay for health insurance. What suggestions do you have for us? How can we keep from going bankrupt? Right now we have doctors in our home town who won't see us anymore because we still owe them money (even though we are making small monthly payments) We are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I told my husband we would be better off if we just dropped his insurance and got financial aid from our local teaching hospital..to receive free medical care and medication.

Oh and here is a priceless piece of information. We are trying to get out 15 yr old (retarded) daughter services. We were told she would benefit from seeing a developmental specialist. However no one, including our local mental health department, will take her. Know why? Because we have private medical insurance. Oh they would see her if she had medicaid. Now how f*cked up is that?

Our system is broke. Plain and simple.

~~Donna~~

• ?

OECD statistics are clear (unless you believe that OECD is a taliban offshoot): the US spends 17% of its GDP on health care, vs. 8-10% in other rich countries, which all have universal health care.

Why waste so much money? Just because the Republicans want private insurance companies to make HUGE profits?

• Steve

It's not that I can't afford insurance, I can. But I was born with what the insurance companies consider a pre-existing condition, and they won't sell me any insurance. Not even insurance that would cover everything except my condition. They want nothing to do with me.

That's why I favor reform.

Yes you can get inexpensive insurance but the bottom line is you get inexpensive coverage.

Have you checked your deductibles? Also you might want to check to make sure that amount is not just for accidental injury.

If it is insurance for that price I would be looking into why its so cheap.

Something is not right because I know people who pay much more for blue cross blue shield.

There is also ASSURANCE and other insurance companies that are not bad.

THEY have an AGENDA....and they say they are for the poor people and saving the lives of 45,000 who die every year without it.

THAT IS BULL CRAP by the way. WHAT IS AFFORDABLE for AMERICA when they pass everything and it costs 8,000 to 11 thousand per person MORE IN TAXES A YEAR! Not married couples...but PER PERSON!

YEP..let's see the poor live on that.....they sure are helping them aren't they? They want to take the rich down..but it is the middle class suffering. BUsinesses are going out of business and leaving the country so who are they hurting?

Dems can't see past their noses...the want it NOW and to damn with the consequences. They were not made to face them before so they don't know how to face them NOW! THEY STILL THINK THIS IS FREE HEALTH CARE...I still see questions that say FREE HEALTH CARE....they are as blind as they are deaf!

I know three people at work that could afford health care..but they are wondering where the best sale for WII and PSP and DS's are. They are getting two new TV's this CHRistmas and one family is getting FOUR GPS'S for their kids. THEY NEED THEM...they might get lost! OH and one family is sending their kid to a student exchange program in Germany....and they need to save their money for THAT! The kid isn't working...and they dont' have health care...but they are going to support a child overseas for the school year next year!

YEP...they have their priorities straight!