Can I do something about my school awarding me aid and suddenly taking it away, after realizing their mistake?

Before the start of the semester, I was told I was going to be awarded $2,500 in financial aid. I enrolled only because of this, otherwise I simply could not afford to attend my college. At first, the aid I thought I'd be getting didn't show up on my invoice -- I called up and was told it was a mistake, and that I WAS going to receive the aid, and soon after my invoice showed the aid and my bill was great.

Now, at the end of the semester, I got a message saying that I was NOT supposed to get this aid and that if I don't pay the $2,500 within 2 weeks, they are sending my account to a collection agency. My first thoughts.. WTF? I contacted them and they said they could give me a $1000 loan (which, unlike the grant, I would have to pay back -- WITH interest). That's the best they can do, but I don't have the other $1,500. I am broke and I come from a VERY poor family and can hardly believe I made it to college at all!

I can't believe that I have to pay money I thought I'd never have to, first of all, and secondly, I can't believe that my credit is going to be totally screwed because of their mistake! I'm 20 years old! What can I do?

• MSAD
    Favorite Answer

I'd make an appointment with the Dean of Registration and/or the Dean of Undergraduate affairs.

Take all the documentation showing they awarded you the grant.