Why are my red blood cells larger than normal?

A few years ago I had a blood test. The doctors told me that my red blood cells were larger than normal. They told me they were as big as animal blood cells. I don't know what that means for my health, if it means anything at all, because the doctors never told me. But the doctors put it down to my smoking... show more A few years ago I had a blood test. The doctors told me that my red blood cells were larger than normal. They told me they were as big as animal blood cells. I don't know what that means for my health, if it means anything at all, because the doctors never told me. But the doctors put it down to my smoking and drinking. I told them that I don't smoke or drink, because I don't, but the doctor wouldn't believe me, because he was convinced my over sized red blood cells are caused by my drinking and smoking, which I have never done.

Anyway, ever since I had my blood tests done, I've wondered why my blood cells are "as big as animal blood cells" and what it means, if anything, for my body. Anyone know?
1 answer