Why are my red blood cells larger than normal?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
A few years ago I had a blood test. The doctors told me that my red blood cells were larger than normal. They told me they were as big as animal blood cells. I don't know what ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
Any doctor who insists that the only possibility for an unusual finding is that the patient smokes and drinks when the patient says he doesn't is probably a bad doctor.

The first possibility is always "human variation". Some people are tall, some people are short, some people have one large kidney instead of 2 normal ones...these things can just happen.

A search online indicated that it could be due to a vitamin B12 deficiency, a folic acid deficiency, anemia, thyroid or liver disease, etc. I suggest that you go to another doctor and explain that you were told this and are concerned. Some of these are no big deal, but others are and even if what you have is not a big deal, having large blood cells could lead to future problems. Please, please, check this out with a competent doctor.

Asker's rating & comment

4 out of 5
Thanks for answering. I'm not concerned about the problem, just curious as to what it might be. Reading your answer reminded me that the doctors said I should take vitamin B12 tablets, which I'm going to do again.
  • Rate
  • Comment
Sign In 

to add your answer

No other answers

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock