• Science & Mathematics >
  • Biology
  • Science & Mathematics >
  • Biology

Why are my red blood cells larger than normal?

• Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
A few years ago I had a blood test. The doctors told me that my red blood cells were larger than normal. They told me they were as big as animal blood cells. I don't know what ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
Any doctor who insists that the only possibility for an unusual finding is that the patient smokes and drinks when the patient says he doesn't is probably a bad doctor.

The first possibility is always "human variation". Some people are tall, some people are short, some people have one large kidney instead of 2 normal ones...these things can just happen.

A search online indicated that it could be due to a vitamin B12 deficiency, a folic acid deficiency, anemia, thyroid or liver disease, etc. I suggest that you go to another doctor and explain that you were told this and are concerned. Some of these are no big deal, but others are and even if what you have is not a big deal, having large blood cells could lead to future problems. Please, please, check this out with a competent doctor.

Asker's rating & comment

4 out of 5
Thanks for answering. I'm not concerned about the problem, just curious as to what it might be. Reading your answer reminded me that the doctors said I should take vitamin B12 tablets, which I'm going to do again.
  • 0
    0
  • Comment
A few years ago I had a blood test. The doctors told me that my red blood cells were larger than normal. They told me they were as big as animal blood cells. I don't know what that means for my health, if it means anything at all, because the doctors never told me. But the doctors put it down to my smoking and drinking. I told them that I don't smoke or drink, because I don't, but the doctor wouldn't believe me, because he was convinced my over sized red blood cells are caused by my drinking and smoking, which I have never done.

Anyway, ever since I had my blood tests done, I've wondered why my blood cells are "as big as animal blood cells" and what it means, if anything, for my body. Anyone know?
Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock