who killed the electrical car?

heyy guys so i just saw the movie "who killed the electrical car" and well my ques tin is who did "kill" it. it was between; hydrogen fuel, the government, the consumers, the batteries, california air comission, or the oil companies???

3 Answers

Relevance
  • MarkG
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The CARB killed it - when they recinded their mandate...that removed the incentive on manufacturers to make such vehicles available to those who wished to purchase.

GM killed it - by marketing for failure. Lease only instead of allowing purchase guaranteed that no EV-1's would survive the trial period as well as making the car expensive to purchase. Had EV-1's been sold someone one find a way of using them. Instead GM canceled the program took back all the EV-1's and crushed every single last one.

High prices of electric vehicles deter purchasers as they will expect similar performance comparable to a gasoline powered vehicle.

It was also difficult for GM to make money on the car once it left the show room. Very little routine maintanence and high reliability go against the current sales model where cars come back to the dealer for servicing. The auto manufacturers will want you back at teh dealer to spend money. One way they will do this is to make the battery systems so unique to a vehicle that you must return at some point and spend 5 to 10 grand on new batteries.

Look at the Chevy volt and the battery locations down the spine of the vehicle. You won't be going to a local Pep Boy's to get new batteries when the time comes. You'll be heading to the dealer to pay top dollar.

As for Price.... No one wants to buy a car for 30K on up which only goes 40miles. However there is a market for short ranged electrics if you can get the price down to 10K to 15K. Consider the Zap Zebra as such a vehicle http://www.zapworld.com/electric-vehicles/electric... (Notice the standard battery sizes )

People who would buy such a vehicle would most likely purchase an electric as a second car for short trips around town or short commutes (10mile oneway). Providing that such a vehicle could reach speeds of 40 mph or so it could use secondary roads. Although highway speeds would be preferred speed limitations do limit the market to some extent.

Many people might buy an electric as a second vehicle if its affordable and competitively priced. I do consider the 15K price as a ceiling for a second car market.

Any electric car priced over 15K and you redifine what customers would expect, i.e. Longer range, highway speeds (70mph), seating ,passenger comfort, cargo capacity et al. For 30K on up consumer expectations are high.

• 1 decade ago

I don't think it was practical, and may not be now. Batteries didn't store enough power, the car had poor acceleration and range, and the batteries had a short lifetime.

Hydrogen fuel didn't kill it, as that is even more not practical. The government keeps their hands off this.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the technology was not quite there back in the early 90s. In fact, the technology is still not here.

The left-wing whackos who love to demonize the "big bad oil companies" are full of it, like always.

No one wants to buy a car that runs out of power after only 40 to 120 miles. No one wants a car whose batteries no longer hold a charge after 5 years, and are steadily losing their charge throughout those 5 years. Your trip to the grocery store might leave you stranded in a ghetto.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.