Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Which Economist do you like most?

Milton Friedman

John Maynard Keynes

Arthur B. Laffer

Kenneth Arrow

Gerald Debreu

Alfred Marshall

Adam Smith

Steve Moore

Steve Forbes

Paul Krugmann

or

Ben Stein

Mine is Friedman...

sorry, i meant to place this one in the economics section...

I apologize...

Otto, not what Friedman wanted - u should learn to read child.

Favorite Answer

I have not read all the works from the listed authors, but I do like Adam Smith, for the mere fact that he was the first to see what is commonly regarded today as "economics" as a serious subject. He was also the first to propose certain significant economic theories such as the Division of Labour and the Labour-Theory of Value.

It's a shame however, that you omitted many other influential economists, such as Friedrich Hayek, Ludwig Von Mises, Bohm-Bawerk, Karl Marx, David Ricardo and Thomas Malthus to name just a few.

None of these models adequately take into account the human factors of fear and greed that really drive the economy.

All the models look good on paper, but in reality Capitalism, Socialism, Communism can all be brought down by excessive greed concentrated into the hands of too few at the very tip top. This excessive greed is the enemy of Capitalism.

Your own blog praises trickle down economics where the super rich are supposed to use their excess$$$$ to raise wages, increase employment, but in reality too many used the extra capital to take quick profits, forget the future growth get more luxury vacation houses, buy bigger yachts, increase their fleat of Ferrari's.

None of us like rules. Not the little kid, or the grown professionals. But there must be some limitations to prevent chaos.

My broker says that one of the downsides to deregulation was that since numbers were not required corporations did not report them, and money managers lost feedback into the underbellies of the market, which he feels is the reason that the high power money managers failed to see the oncoming icebergs that sank the global economy.

The governments first task is to protect the citizens for terrorists. We need protection from the excessive greed of some "corporate terrorists" just as much as we need government protection from the hate of foreign terrorists.

By the way, I heard Steve Forbes speak about his flat tax.... First $45,000 is tax free and the rest is 15%. This helps all but the top 14,583 Americans who make almost three times more than the bottom 50% combined. This is a dangerous social imbalance. This kind of imbalance has historically lead to revolution and/or total economic collapse. While the middle class was being decimated these 14,583 saw their own incomes go up by a staggering 900%.

I am not an economist, and have never taken a single economics course, but I read and listen and think. Feel free to e-mail me with insights that may add to, or correct my observations.

• Jay

Milton Friedman. A darling of the Reagan administration, he wrote the intro and a section of an economics book titled 'The American Economy in Transition', which was a collection of contributions by various economists around the nation covering macroeconomics in the post-war period. I bought it at the University of Washington bookstore and found it most enjoyable, though many would consider it rather dry reading.

• uhh... Friedman argued that the monetary base needed to be expanded in recessions. In fact he blamed the Federal Reserve for causing the great depression, but for NOT expanding the money supply enough. Friedman was a proponent of what we are seeing now. But he was a monetarist, which shares the same fundamental conept of Keynesianism, which is inflating the money supply via fiat. I think maybe you need to study up on your economics a little bit.

Read some Ludwig Von Mises. That is my answer to your question.

Source(s): mises.org

Adam Smith is my favorite but your list leaves off others I like. My list of others to include would be: Ludwig von Mises, Freidrick Hayek, Bruce Williams, Walter E Williams, Peter Schiff, and Thomas Woods?

Yours is Milton Friedman?

How did his policies go in Chile under Pinochet?

Lol remind me never to come to you for financial advice

None of the above is my answer

For proof of impact?

Henry Ford.

The rest are arm-chair quarter-backs.

...

Keynes.