Geography 101 Questions (Latin and South America)?
1. Name the one major tributary of the Amazon River which flows from north to south, thereby joining the Amazon along its left bank.
2. Identify the country where the Andes Mountain Range splits into two distinct ranges, known as the Cordillera Occidental and Cordillera Oriental.
3. Identify the country which has a portion of its area under a Mediterranean climate classification.
4. Which island in the Caribbean has experienced recent volcanic eruptions and evacuations of its inhabitants?
5. What is the detailed (two-letter) Koeppen climate class for Puerto Rico?
population and settlement
6. Based on satellite imagery, what has enabled and encouraged rainforest loss in the settlement frontier of Rondonia, Brazil?
7. Which Latin American country by far has the greatest population density?
8. Most international migration flows within South America are focused on these two countries as destinations: Venezuela and _______ .
9. Which country in Latin America has the lowest population growth rate?
10. Which Caribbean island has the largest population?
11. With its domestication hearth in this region, this food crop still forms the dietary staple of much of Mexico and Central America.
12. This important Inca city that was never found by Spanish invaders is now one of Peru's major tourist attractions.
13. Besides Quechua, what is the indigenous language spoken in Bolivia's high Altiplano area?
14. The Obeah religious tradition is found where?
15. What is the official language of both Aruba and Suriname?
16. Which country in South America is now landlocked but once had a sea coast?
17. Which country in Central America was once a part of the Viceroyalty of Peru?
18. Coca eradication efforts have targeted Bolivia, Peru, and _______ .
19. Because of its socialist regime, this island has long endured trade restrictions and economic sanctions imposed by the United States.
20. The United States military invaded this country in 1983.
economic and social development
21. Electricity generated by the Itaipu Dam is shared by _______ and _______ .
22. According to 1998 per capita GDP data, the two poorest states in Mexico are _______ and _______ .
23. The economy of Costa Rica, once dominated by coffee production, has now shifted toward _______ .
24. By almost any measure, this is the poorest country in the Caribbean.
25. Which Caribbean country registered the most tourist arrivals, as indicated by 2001 data.
5. Af (Tropical Wet Climate)
This is what I have so far.