Confederate Flags and Country boys/rebels. NOT A RACIAL QUESTION?

I just recently started hanging out with a few country boys, and I just realized that they're all into confederate flags. None of them are racist from what I've seen, but they're SUPER into this. I just want to know what the big deal is. I know it's a "southern" flag of course, but these... show more I just recently started hanging out with a few country boys, and I just realized that they're all into confederate flags. None of them are racist from what I've seen, but they're SUPER into this. I just want to know what the big deal is. I know it's a "southern" flag of course, but these guys are from, like, Montana. Is it just a symbol for rebels or what? I don't want to seem like an idiot if it ever comes up, and the only info on the internet I can find is about racism and the olden days. I want to know why these boys are into it TODAY. Thanks!