Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Adventure books.........?

I want them to be TRUE, as in happened in real life. Books like, Into The Wild and Into Thin Air.

Thanks. :]

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

Mutiny on the Bounty is the classic of the genre.

Earnest Shackleton's survival adventure in the Antarctic is about the most amazing real life adventure I've ever encountered.

Paddle the Amazon by Don Starkell is about he and his two sons taking a canoe 12,000 miles from Canada to Belem, Brazil, where the Amazon meets the Atlantic. Extremely good book.

Peter Freuchen's Book of the Eskimos

Shadow Divers is pretty fantastic. It's the story of two American recreational divers who stumbled upon a U-boat in about 200' of water just off the coast of New Jersey. Neither the US or German militaries had any record of a boat sinking in its vicinity

Reach For The Sky, by Paul Brickhill, the story of Douglas Bader, WW2 fighter ace. Without any legs

Capsized (not Adrift) by Steven Callahan

The Silent World by Jacques Cousteau

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George

The Glorious Adventure and The Flying Carpet by Richard Halliburton

Kon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl

Into Thin Air, by Jon Krakauer

Young Men and Fire, by Norman Maclean

Hatchet, by Gary Paulsen

Alive by Piers Paul Read

Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Arabian Sands, by Wilfred Thesiger

And MY two personal and more recent favorites....

My Lead Dog Was A Lesbian: Mushing Across Alaska in the Iditarod--the World's Most Grueling Race by Brian Patrick O'Donoghue (a novice news reporter runs the Iditarod)

AND

Road Fever by Tim Cahill (Tim Cahill and driver set a road record for tip of South America to tip of North America.)

• Ralph
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston

Adrift: Seventy-six Days Lost at Sea by Steven Callahan

Over the Edge by Michael Patrick Ghiglieri

The Hot Zone by Richard Preston

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

• 3 years ago

the superb experience e book I honestly have ever examine replaced into Shantaram by using Gregory David Roberts. It’s an autobiography (supposedly) disguised as a singular approximately Roberts’ life in India after escaping from a optimum protection detention center in Australia. Roberts’ adventures in India are so astounding that it makes you ask your self whether it would desire to truly be genuine, and that i advise that for the time of a sturdy way. The e book is over 900 pages and there’s by no ability a lull. There are hundreds of short thoughts in the bigger experience/secret: some are extraordinarily heartbreaking, some are so humorous I laughed out loud, some are chillingly violent, some are coronary heart-warmingly hopeful, and various are combos of the 4. The characters are so genuine. there are such dissimilar (perhaps a hundred?) yet they’re so richly drawn that I by no ability misplaced song of who replaced into who. Roberts refers to his very own character as a “hard guy,” which he extremely is, yet he has an extremely gentle coronary heart. this blend is what makes the tale so appealing. It additionally explains how Roberts would desire to the two paintings for the Bombay mafia and run a loose scientific hospital interior the slum. in lots of strategies, the e book is like between the Bollywood movies that the characters love lots: it’s larger-than-life, it’s emotional, it loves India (Bombay in specific), and there’s a lot of making a music and dancing.

• CMM
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Early 1900s Sir Ernest Shackleton puts together a crew to go to Antarctica, they run into problems while on the bottom of the globe. This is the true story of how Shackleton got everyone home again against all odds.

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing

http://www.amazon.com/Endurance-Shackletons-Incred...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jack London combines his real life experiences into his stories. Like The Call of the Wild, and White Fang.

Hope this helps! :)

• 1 decade ago

Try some biographies of adventurers. George Washington, Theodore Roosevelt.

You can also read their books: Lewis & Clarke, for example.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.