Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 decade ago

Do you wash you fruit and veggies with soap?

So the other day I saw my friend washing her apple with some hand soap, and I was like "you wash your fruit with soap? That's gross!" and she said "ya, I always do that, isn't it gross not too?". Apparently there is soap just for washing fruit and veggies, but I would never trust soap washed fruit, even riced. It just seams gross, soap is for your face and body and dishes, and stuff like that, but not for fruit. I guess I'm making a huge deal of this, but how do you wash your fruit and veggies? I just scrub with water. Before that I wash my hands with soap.

Best Answer

The health department would not allow a restaurant to wash fruits and veggies with soap. It is gross..... and unsafe. Fruits and vegetables will absorb soap.

Source(s): professional chef culinary school grad serv/safe certified current food handler's card 28 years in the industry

I use water only but I have a soft fruit and vegetable brush. It is especially helpful on things like carrots and other root vegetable that have grown in dirt. It is not good to ingest soap and there is bound to be traces of soap left on fruits and veggies if they are washed in it. You are right, soap is meant for washing skin or dishes, etc. Your friend is either a little paranoid about this or she was raised to do it this way.

Uh, no--I rinse with water, then scrub with a towel. Wow, soap for washing vegetables? That sounds pretty unnecessary. btw, you mean it "seems", not "seams"--a seam is what you find on an item of clothing.

No, Never and Don't.

Soaps for clean veg & fruits?

One day they will introduce a soap to clean Human organs instead of curing by medicines!

No Wonder!

I wash apples with soap because of the wax they put on them

• jd

White vinegar and water in a spray bottle. The vinegar dissolves the wax on the fruit and kills bacteria on the skins. Soap residue can give you a mild case of diarrhea...not for me, thanks.

No i don't i just use water and a paper towel, i think if you used soap it would end up tasting soapy

I find Dove is best for that soft moist feeling on my carrots

i tried, but it tastes bad so i just wash them with hot water.

ewww. tht would make them taste like mr. bubbles playtoy. gross