Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Faith asked in Games & RecreationCard Games · 1 decade ago

Any tips for playing Magic the Gathering Online?

I just started playing and want to know what strategy works best? My husband loves this game and I want to learn more about it so he can play with me and not just online.

Favorite Answer

The strategies for playing Magic online are the same as playing Magic IRL, and can be somewhat complicated for beginners. There is no specific strategy that encompasses the entire game, except for the basic goal of beating your opponent by reducing their life total to zero (although there are other ways to win, such as milling their deck until they can no longer draw a card) and there are many ways of defeating your opponent. Deck-building strategy is as essential as knowing how to play the actual game. Making a well-balanced 60-card deck with a specific set of gameplay strategies is the first thing you will need to learn. Some decks play a lot of creatures, some decks play very few or none at all. Some decks rely on specific spells or combos to win. So on and so forth. If you plan on playing in specific formats, you'll need to learn which card sets are legal in those formats before you build your deck (assuming you are playing Constructed).

The first thing to learn is basic game mechanics, and there are a lot of them. For example, there are several different types of cards, all which do different things. There are creatures, sorceries, instants, enchantments and artifacts. Learning the various phases of a turn is also key. A player's turn consists of Beginning Phase, 1st Main Phase, Combat Phase, 2nd Main Phase, and End of Turn Phase. Some of these phases have multiple steps. The Beginning Phase has Untap, Upkeep and Draw steps. Combat phase consists of five steps: enter combat, declare attackers, declare blockers, assign damage and end of combat step. At each of these steps, both players can play instants, which may effect the state of the game. This makes gameplay much more complex and strategic. The best way to learn, is to have someone who plays explain the basics to you, and to play some sample games.

For starters, I would browse these articles on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_...

Official rules can be found here: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Article.aspx?x=ma...

For deck ideas, articles and forums, check out MTGSalvation.com or StarCityGames.com

Hope this helps.

Source(s): Many years of competitive Magic

Honestly I dont think magic the gathering is even hardly played anymore. I could be wrong but seriously havent even heard about it in probably 8 years until this question. Good luck with your quest