What would cause a car to fry a battery And what would cause the car battery to die with out leaving the Light?

last weekend my moms car battery died, and we bought a new one, and had it put in. she did not leave the lights on. and then three days later it died again, once again did not leave anything on. so we took it in to the shop the people told her where to park it and with in an hour they said it was the battery was... show more last weekend my moms car battery died, and we bought a new one, and had it put in. she did not leave the lights on. and then three days later it died again, once again did not leave anything on. so we took it in to the shop the people told her where to park it and with in an hour they said it was the battery was dead again. she did not leave any lights on. and they do not know whats worng with it. the found out that the car fryed the battery, and that the repair could coast up to 1000 dollars. they said it might be the alternatior, or the generator. but does a car witht an alrernatior have a generator? this was yesterday. they still dont know whats wrong with it, its a 1997 jeep charchoke, and the soonest we might have it back it monday, any ideas? and the battery that was fryed was just bought a week ago tomarrow
Update: when ever my mom truns off the car the fan keeps on running for ever. is it just cooling down the car because we have the heat on or would that cause the battery to die? how easy it that to fix
Update 2: i just called the shop again, they still dont know whats worng, but they were saying that depending on what it is the repair could coast up to 1000 dollars.
Update 3: we found out from the shop where it is at. that it is not the alternator, but that they still dont know what it is. they are now looking at the electeral stuff, is there anything electeral that goes with the alternator?
9 answers 9