Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 1 decade ago

Low blood sugar levels? Mine was 38 at about 2pm today.?

I will occasionally have low blood sugar although I have not been diagnosed with hypoglycemia. Today I started feeling bad and everything started to go dark, my ears closed up like I was under water. I took my sugar (my mom is diabetic and gave me an extra checker) and it was 38. I have checked online and can't find a chart of what levels should be. This was about 2pm today that it happened. I typically can drink something and it will go back up. I still feel weak from it though and that is not normally how I feel after it gets better. I have been on a no sugar/low carb diet for about 2 years now. My husband thinks I should go to the doctor, but I don't want to have to go just for them to tell me that nothing is wrong and then i'm out 25 bucks. Just wondered what everyone else's experience is with low blood sugar and if 38 is a low number for 2pm.

Favorite Answer

Here what you need to do :

Hypoglycemia Symptoms

Because epinephrine, one of the hormones that is activated by hypoglycemia, comes from the central nervous system, the majority of early symptoms of hypoglycemia are related to the nervous system.

Common symptoms of hypoglycemia include the following:

Trembling

Clamminess

Palpitations

Anxiety

Sweating

Hunger

Because the brain is deprived of glucose, a second set of symptoms follows:

Difficulty in thinking

Confusion

Headache

Seizures

Coma

Ultimately, death

Eating every 4-6 hours is important to prevent hypoglycemia.

Be adventurous and try something new to liven up your snacks between meals!

Each of the following counts as one starch:

One small apple, orange, peach, pear, nectarine, or tangerine

Eight animal crackers

Four medium fresh apricots or seven dried halves

1/2 of a banana rolled with 2-tablespoons Grape Nuts cereal

1 cup cubed cantaloupe

Twelve Bing cherries

Two chocolate mousse bars (Weight Watchers)

1/2 cup chow mein noodles

Two sugar-free fudgesicles

Three gingersnaps

36 Goldfish (adds 1 fat serving)

Three graham crackers (2 1/2-inch square)

1/2 low-fat granola bar

15 grapes

½ cup fruit juice

Five slices melba toast

1 cup skim milk

Three peanut butter sandwich crackers (adds 1 fat serving)

Two small plums

24 oyster crackers

3 cups popcorn (popped by hot air, or low-fat microwave)

1 slice of angel food cake

1 sugar-free pudding snack cup

Three dried pitted prunes

15 fat-free potato or tortilla chips

3/4 ounce pretzels

2 tablespoons raisins

Two rice cakes (4" diameter)

1 regular Jell-o snack cup

Seven Ritz crackers (adds 1 fat serving)

Six saltine crackers

½ cup canned fruit

15 Teddy Grahams (adds 1 fat serving)

Five reduced-fat Triscuits

Six Vanilla Wafers (adds 1 fat serving)

Six Waverly Wafers (adds 1 fat serving)

12 Original Wheat Thins (adds 1 fat serving)

13 Reduced-fat Wheat Thins (adds 1/2 fat serving)

1 cup nonfat fruit-flavored yogurt (sweetened with sugar substitute)

1/2 cup of sherbet or I Can't Believe It's Yogurt or TCBY frozen yogurt

By the way you are Hypoglycemic

Tin

Hi normal sugars are 70-110. Sugars will dip down after eating a heavy sugar load but your body needs to have some carbs and sugars to function. The way people get in trouble is by overdoing the sugars and carbs. You need to eat a couple of lifesavers or drink some sweet juice when you get that low. Getting that low is not normal for a person who has not been diagnosed with hypoglycemia or diabetes. Your husband is right you should go see a doctor as there are many things that can cause the sugars to be off like that, problems with the pancreas,cancer of the pancreas. You need to go get some lab tests done and find out if anything is going on. Good Luck.

Source(s): RN

1

Source(s): Two Weeks Diabetes Cure : http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?NtsK
  • Z

70 is the absolute low end of normal. People with typical blood glucose control will have readings around 70-100 in the morning before eating, and readings up to 140 two hours after eating.

Anything under 50 is defined as 'severe' hypoglycemia.

38 is on the 'you could have seizures or go into a coma or worse' side of low, especially if nobody is there to help you. If you're driving a car anywhere below 70 you can easily get into an accident and kill someone.

You need to see a doctor. I'm guessing it's your poor judgment in diet causing at least part of your symptoms, and hopefully your doctor will set you right about the risks of very low carb diets, but a reading of 38 is nothing to joke about.

My lowest blood sugar so far was 25, which was very scary because I was being force fed food, and my sugar took an unusually long time to get normal (it took over and hour to get a reading of 110!) Because my diabetes is different, not a lot of people have it, I have to be extra careful with my sugars, I make some insulin of my own, but my pancrease has been damaged over 20 years of Cystic Fibrosis, as well as certain medications make my sugar high. Right now my control is good because I am almost off steroids. I can usually go through the day with good numbers without extra insulin (just with long acting) but at night when I eat more frequently I usually have to give myself shorter acting insulin. So if I do give myself short insulin during the day I usually go low. I'm pretty sure normal blood suagr ranges are about 60-70 up to the low 100's. You should really visit a doctor and be prepared for hypoglycemic episodes with either juice or a carbohydrate source. Please be safe, you don't want to mess with low blood sugar, you can die.

Source(s): CF-related diabetes

2

Source(s): Two Weeks Diabetes Cure : http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?sBcU

3

Source(s): Diabete Natural Reamedies http://givitry.info/ReverseDiabetesNaturally

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I will occasionally have low blood sugar although I have not been diagnosed with hypoglycemia. Today I started feeling bad and everything started to go dark, my ears closed up like I was under water. I took my sugar (my mom is diabetic and gave me an extra checker) and it was 38. I have checked...

Source(s): blood sugar levels 38 2pm today: https://tinyurl.im/3nk8k

Your husband is right and you need to see a doctor as soon as possible . A blood sugar of 38 is very low and it would not take much for you to have a seizure or go into a coma. What if you were alone and no one was there to assist you or if it happened in your sleep? This is very dangerous and believe me. you life is worth a lot more than $25 bucks and it could be over if you don't get this taken care of. Very low blood sugars can kill brain cells, it is imperative that you see a physician and get to an E.R if it happens again.

OK that is a bout 1/2 of normal. normal is 70 - 110. I would HIGHLY recommend you discontinue any diet that restricts the intake of complex carbohydrates. The history of diabetes in your immediate family would qualify you for screening and should be done if you are or are thinking about getting pregnant as you are at an increased risk of gestational diabetes. Hypoglycemia is traditionally treated with diet, and restricting your intake of carbs could increase your risk of developing diabetes, as your pancreas may stop or reduce production of insulin if there is insufficient need (lack of sugars in the blood) similar to someone who is on artificial hormones(ie steroids) for a prolonged time, the body will stop producing the needed hormones thus requiring an increase in replacement quantities.

• Elaine

I'm a 45 year old woman and was recently diagnosed as being a borderline diabetic. My doctor prescribed some medication, but before filling it I decided to do some research on the internet which led me to the methods. After reading this ebook and applying the methods, my scepticism turned to 100% belief. I noticed that my energy levels increased significantly and I felt more rested in the morning, my symptoms started going away.

I am very happy to tell you that I have been feeling better than I have felt in years and my doctor informed me that he will be taking me off my prescriptions if I keep this up.

I recommend you use the Type 2 Diabetes Destroyer to naturally reverse your diabetes.