What's the point of movie interviews, before the movie is even released?

I mean when people interview actors about some movie that is about to come out. Most often they ask, "Have you seen it?" and they say "No." So umm, what the he!! is the point of the interview! It's like showing up to a book club meeting and no one has read the book! How are you going to... show more I mean when people interview actors about some movie that is about to come out. Most often they ask, "Have you seen it?" and they say "No." So umm, what the he!! is the point of the interview!

It's like showing up to a book club meeting and no one has read the book! How are you going to discuss it!? Like let's say the book has not even been released yet. How in the world can you talk about it?

I get that these "interviews" are about advertising the movie. But can't they do something, anything else? Like discuss how they go into acting. What attracted them to this role etc. Not just them summarizing the movie in an Q&A format! Play a game, volunteer, make them act out a scene, something!

I remember watching Star Trek (2009) interviews with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto. And they said the same things over and over. Same with New Moon, and so on.

Why don't they wait until after it's out? More people would tune in for an actual analysis of the movie. Since anyone can just get online and watch the trailer. They could get fan reaction, and have more substance to those flashy entertainment shows.