Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 1 decade ago

Can't stop thinking about car crash?

I crashed my car today on the motorway and i can't stop thinking about it. My friends were in the car and no one got hurt but I just feel so guilty. I wasn't driving too fast or anything, the weather was just really bad and we spun around and hit a guard pretty hard. We were just really lucky nothing happened to us (the damage to the car was pretty bad)

I keep replaying it in my head and I can't stop thinking about it and it's just making me feel really sad and depressed and i don't know what to do. I'm too nervous to get back in the car. I don't feel like I can talk to them about it. Can someone who has been in a similiar situation give me any advice?

Favorite Answer

It's normal to feel shaken up.Been there but I was so scared to drive again.But I didn't want the accident to take over my life.I felt anxiety just to get near the car.So some weeks passed by and I got into the car and just stared to go around my block.Then little by little i went out to the street and conquer my fears.So take little steps ,medium steps,and then conquer your foot to step on the gas pedal and go.Mind over matter.Only you can talk your self into relief.You can do it !!!!!!!!!! Let the accident go from your mind and just tell your self that it was not your time to go.Gods has a plan for you down here and doesn't need you yet.God gave you a second chance. Now that was your wake up call. .

I've been in a couple of bad crashes. Forget the folks saying to jump back in. In your current state of mind, obsessing about crashing, you'll probably wreck again, this time ruining other peoples lives.

Stay out of cars until you feel comfortable again. Absolutely don't start before the crash obsession dies. The lives and health of other people count for something too.

I was in a very bad accident back in 1984 and I know the feeling, it took me months to be able to drive again. I was very scared and really didn't even want to ride with anyone. It was raining and I just lost control, I was in a jeep and flipped several times, my son was with me and had no injuries but I was hurt pretty bad. So just take your time about getting back on the road, it'll come to pass. Just be thankful no one was hurt.

My advice is opposite to the last person, get in a car as soon as you can.

You feel guilty over it, but from what you say it was just bad luck and put it down to experience, it may make a better driver to expect the unexpected.

Get back in a car (any car) and drive. NOW! The longer you wait, the harder it's going to be to build your self-confidence back up.