Issues for a lesbian student in Ecuador?

I want to know what problems a lesbian foreign exchange student in Ecuador (rural or urban) would encounter over the course of a year. I haven't told my family I'm gay, and I do not plan on telling my host family when I get there. I am worried that this might become apparent and ruin things, though. (I'm not sure how-it's not like I am butch or 'flaunt' my sexuality-but I feel like it's possible.) I know that Latin America is not the most accepting place, but I'm hoping that applies more to men than women because of the machismo attitude. Anyone been to Ecuador or now anything about this? Any suggestions?

I know about the legality, and I wasn't planning on telling anyone. I just want to know how the average teens in Ecuador might react!

• KamoH
    Favorite Answer

I've been to Ecuador, it's not "backwards" country but it's a Catholic country, Homosexuality is legal, it has equal eights for gay couples and discrimination on basis of sexuality is illegal.

I was only there about 2 weeks though, and was not with a partner (I'm lesbian too) I think ot depends on how your host family perceive homosexuality, like if they are religious basically.

• yash

Yes hun, i was born and raised in El salvador which is a Latin country . i had to come to the US because the culture there is so male centristic i couldn't live my life as a lesbian . i wouldn't tell them . I would wait till I came back home to be open with my sexuality . there is no telling the way they will react. Plus they are not your real parents, so i would just keep the peace.

I haven't a clue, but good luck honey.