Is it racist to fly the Confederate Flag?

Is it racist...........or is it a way to show you're proud of your heritage? My High School's mascot was called The Rebel...........Our sports teams were the Rebels and Rebelets. People waved the rebel flag(confederate flag)when we got a touchdown. We wore Heritage t-shirts with the CF on... show more Is it racist...........or is it a way to show you're proud of your heritage?

My High School's mascot was called The Rebel...........Our sports teams were the Rebels and Rebelets.

People waved the rebel flag(confederate flag)when we got a touchdown.

We wore Heritage t-shirts with the CF on them.

But,We never thought anything about it.
We never thought it was racist.....And I'm most certainly not racist.

Is it just people who aren't from the south that think the flag is racist?........Because they don't understand Southern Heritage?

I really don't know................So please give me your opinion.

And btw I'm not from some hick town full of rednecks.
I am from Tennessee,south of Nashville.
Update: Bev,I'm not trying to stir sht...............It's just evey since Obama was elected it seems theres an uproar about it.....and I wanted you guys opinions.

Like I said,I'm not racist and neither was the people I went to HS with.
Update 2: Future:We didn't fly in on the school flag pole or anything.People just waved it in the grand stands.