Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Record Expunged and Possible CHL Ohio?

Don't know where to start so i figured here would be the best spot, I'll try and make it as short as possible. I have a cousin who made a bad choice when he was 18 and got a felony ( i dont know the details though except it wasn't violent or drug/alcohol related). He hasn't been in any trouble since, is now 30, and wants to be able to legally own a firearm and try to get a CHL. Is it even possible for him to get his record expunged and then be able to obtain a CHL if he was able too? I don't know much about this stuff and want to help him get on the right track to clearing his record, any and all help will be appreciated

Thank You!


"What he wants is a PARDON. Given you said NOTHING about the felony, we can't GUESS if that is likely, or even possible."

Well, like i stated i dont know the details and much about this kind of stuff?!?! I just wanted to know if it would even be possible for either of those to happen. But thanks for being an A$$ about it : )

6 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Hello Jimmy. Ohio does allow certain felony crimes to be expunged. One poster above me mentions a Governor's Pardon ,which will also wipe the record clean, but this is highly political and highly unlikely unless your cousin has political connections.

    Certain rules apply. Only a first time felony can be expunged. Two or more numbers and they stay for life. Time elements apply with most states demanding 5 years free and clear of all legal entanglements. Only certain felonies can be expunged and this is the variable here.

    Best and only advice is to have an initial consultation with an attorney within the jurisdiction of the arrest/conviction. He can tell your cousin if he qualfies. If so, the attorney can draw up the petition and submit it to the court in his behalf. A court appearance is not needed in this type of motion and he would be notified by mail of the court's decision. Once granted, it takes 4 to 6 months for the order to make it through the system, removing records and placing them in a sealed area accessible only to law enforcement and the court system ( in case of a repeated offense during the lifetime of the person involved). Usually, first consultations are free, but it never hurts to ask when you make your first phone call. The attorney will go over the details and tell you at that time what his charges will be to handle this for you.'

    Best of luck and I hope this is useful to you

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    Yes. Depending on the offense, the individual can petition the court to have the item expunged from their record. If the convicting court denies the motion to expunge they can appeal the decision. One can also seek a pardon from the state governor or the president. Though in most cases there needs to be some degree of congressional support on either the state or the national level. Expunged is not the same as exonerated. Expunged means the offense is taken off your permanent record. There is still a record of guilt (aka conviction) that can be found through various state and federal agencies. You still committed the crime just all the pertinent information is wiped from your permanent public record. Exonerated means you never did it. Any and all official official records will reflect that fact. The world of public opinion however will make it's own choice.

  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

    I used that website .. the one referenced by that detective guy. I found exactly what I was looking for. So much for Mr Right, or rather Mr Convicted Felon with 2 Liens against him totaling over 30,000$ and an ex-wife I never knew about!! Thank God I found out the truth before it was too late. We were almost engaged!!

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Even with an expungement, he's still a convicted felon and cannot possess a firearm.

    An expungement will cost you $4-10K in attorney fees, and only about 5% are granted.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    A paralegal might be able to help cheaply. Go see a lawyer. They can take it off his record, only a lawyer can do it.

  • 1 decade ago

    What he wants is a PARDON. Given you said NOTHING about the felony, we can't GUESS if that is likely, or even possible.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.