promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Aimee B asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

I need a unique dessert recipe to make for Christmas?

I have invented cheesecake recipes and have brought them and I am tired of the traditional pies (fruit and custard) Also cakes are a bore. I want to make something totally unique otherwise I will just make a crapload of different cookies.

SO just so we know due to certain tastes and frequency of these desserts that have been there done that here is what I cannot make

NO

Bread pudding (sister in law hates it)

Cake (boring)

Pie (fruit like apple, blueberry, cherry; or custard like pumpkin or cream like choc or vanilla is also boring now).

Cheesecake (have made pumpkin, peanut butter cup, raspberry amaretto and vanilla bean. It has been done to death).

Something clearly unique and delish. I cannot think of anything that will be a surprise and yummy.

Ideas?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • KitKat
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I can't post links til tomorrow, but I have a couple recipes that might interest you. If I cannot make cannoli, I will buy the best ever cannoli from Bommarito's Bakery, and surprise everyone with a deliciously messy treat. Who's expecting cannoli? If this is still open, I'll be back with something later.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Here is a unique one that only takes a few ingredients and can be found in the asian area of your local supermarket. This sets up as a white custard. If you want firmer ( like jello jigglers) version, use more cornstarch. You can use any glass container and cut the cooled haupia into squares or cut and place into individual muffin paper cups. Can be dusted with cocoa powder or coconut or just about anything you would like. ** if using pineapple rings for a topping, dont add till you serve, The pineapple causes the cornstarch to "let go" and the whole things runs all over the place.**

Hawaiian Haupia (how-pee-ah)

Ingredients

5 Tbsp Cornstarch

4 Tbsp Sugar 1/8 tsp Salt

2 C Coconut milk ( found in both can and freezer bag forms)

Cooking Instructions

Make a smooth paste of the dry ingredients and 1/2 cup of coconut milk. Add remaining coconut milk and cook on low heat, stirring rapidly. Cook until clear and thick enough to coat a spoon. To avoid curdling, be sure to use low heat. Pour into a shallow pan and set in a cool place until firm.

For thick haupia, or one that will hold its shape when cut, increase the cornstarch to 2 1/2 Tbsp.

• Helga
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Flan preheat oven 350 1 cup skim milk 1 cup low fat evap milk 4 eggs 1/4 cup sugar 1/2 tsp vanilla mix above ingredients in a small pan melt 1/4 cup sugar - DO NOT stir - let melt and turn into a golden brown liquid pour this mixture in an ungreased layer cake pan - the sugar will harden immed - do not worry about this. pour mixture into the pan - place the cake pan in a hot water bath and bake for 40 minutes let cool for one hour. run a knife around the edges -place dish over pan and gently flip - then refrigerate. This is an elegant dessert - very light - not too sweet - perfect after a heavy turkey dinner. This can be made a day ahead of time and refrigerated.

• Judy
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Applesauce Kugel

1 pound wide egg noodles, cooked until tender, drained, rinsed

5 eggs, beaten

1/2 stick butter, cut in small pieces

1 cup golden raisins

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cup applesauce

1 cup non-dairy sour cream

Directions:

While noodles are draining, combine remaining . Stir into noodles.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spoon into greased 9-by-13-inch pan and cover with aluminum foil.

Bake in preheated oven 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes or until noodles are firm, crisp and lightly browned. Can be served hot, slightly cooled or cold.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

paula dean has an AWESOME recipe for this stuff called gooey butter cake on the foodtv website. it can be varied for whatever flavor u like, cream cheese, pumpkin, chocolate, peanut butter.

it's kind of a mix between a coffee cake, chheesecake & regular cake. soooo good!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Here is a exceptionally delicious recipe of cookies. Try it out on Christmas. Really lip smacking. .

• 1 decade ago

oreo balls recipe:

Ingredients

•1 package Oreo Cookies

•1 block softened cream cheese

•1 package white baking chocolate squares

Directions

1.Crumble entire package of Oreos until smooth

2.Add cream cheese to crumbled Oreos (works GREAT in a food processor)

3.Form Oreo mixture into balls and place on cookie sheet covered in wax paper and place in fridge or freezer

4.When balls are stiff, melt the white chocolate in microwave

5.Using a toothpick, dip balls into melted chocolate, place bakc on cookie sheet.

6.When all are covered, place in fridge and chocolate will harden

Source(s): www.grouprecipes.com
  • Simple, Custard and pudding cups, only put them into ice-cream cones instead... also brownies, and mix and match them... it is all about 2 or more tastes layered in the same cone.

ME!

Christmas Candy Recipes

These vintage Christmas candy recipes are taken from Mom's old recipe scrapbooks, circa 1929.

Christmas Candy Bars

Two cups sugar (granulated), 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1 cup lukewarm water, 1 lump of butter size of a walnut. Boil evenly, do not stir.

When syrup is brittle (when a drop is put in cold water), pour into a pan arranged in the following way:

Divide pan into sections with strips of stiff, greased cardboard. In one section put a thick layer of peanuts; in another coconut; in another puffed wheat; and in another a combination of seedless raisins, almonds, and candied cherries. Then, pour in the taffy, making sufficient to cover each to the depth of 3/4 inch. When cool, pull out the cardboard.

Any favourite taffy recipe may be substituted for the above recipe. --P. Panicky

Holiday French Dainties

The old-time joy of making the Christmas candies at home has never lost its charm. Here is a recipe now favoured by families who delight in having something different:

4 level tablespoonfuls Knox® Sparkling Gelatine, 1-1/2 cups boiling water, 4 cups granulated sugar, 1 cup cold water. Soak the gelatine in the cold water five minutes. Add the boiling water. When dissolved add the sugar and boil slowly for fifteen minutes.

Divide into two equal parts. When somewhat cooled add to one part one teaspoonful extract of cinnamon. To the other part add one-half teaspoonful extract of cloves.

Pour into shallow tins that have been dipped in cold water. Let stand overnight; turn out; cut into squares, roll in fine granulated or powdered sugar; let stand to crystallize.

Any colouring desired might be added and any preferred flavouring extract used. Vary by using different flavours, such as lemon, orange, peppermint, wintergreen, etc., and different colours, and adding chopped nuts, dates, or figs. Delicious.

Coconut Fudge

Two cups sugar, 2/3 cup milk, put into a saucepan, and cook over a moderate fire until a little dropped into cold water will form a soft ball. Remove from fire, add 2 tablespoons butter, cool, and add 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 cup shredded coconut, and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. Beat all together until the mixture begins to thicken, then spread upon buttered tin to thicknesses of 1/2 inch. --Fruits and Candies

French Creams

This recipe is taken from the book “Lee’s Priceless Recipes: A Valuable Collection of Tried Formulas and Simple Methods, Etc.” by Dr. N. T. Oliver, published by Laird & Lee, Chicago, circa 1895.

Take 2 cupfuls of granulated sugar, add to it 1/2 cupful milk; set upon the stove and bring slowly to a boil and boil for 5 minutes; take off the fire and set in a pan of cold water; stir rapidly until it creams; cool; shape into balls with the hands and place nuts on top of some of the creams, or it can be arranged in layers and figs or dates placed between; then cut into squares.

Fine chocolate creams can be made of this mixture by dipping the balls into melted chocolate, leaving until cold upon buttered white paper.

• 1 decade ago

THi sounds like just the thing:

http://www.cacaoweb.net/chocolatefondant.html

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

doble fuge browins with a choltet filling or cimmon buns with frostong in it

Source(s): good luck
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.