Joe asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

What does the "drill baby drill" crowd think of this tidbit from the Institute for Analysis of Global Security?

They said:

Drill anywhere you want, the United States has merely 3 percent of the world's conventional oil reserve while consuming roughly a quarter of the world's supply. The same figures are true for natural gas.

If we continue to play in the petroleum playing field, we will forever be dwarfed by the Arabs, Nigerians, Russians and Venezuelans.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

They don't know and they don't care. Look at the answers - some insist that the facts are just a liberal conspiracy. Others say we have vast reserves in other forms - which is true, but it isn't true that the technology to make these reserves usable at a reasonable cost currently exists, except for coal which has other problems.

Modern conservatism is based on faith. Where facts contradict the faith they are dismissed or ignored.

• 1 decade ago

They probably ignore it. If they were smart they would stop drilling because of the negative ecological effects, as well as search for alternative fuels. In the meantime the oil importation has worked out just fine, but of course the oil interests just want to drill in order to make money

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There is a hell of a lot of oil in Alaska and probably much which hasn't been discovered yet.

I think the time to drill there was a long time ago. You know how big it is?

We could do a lot of drilling and not impact the ecosystem AT ALL, especially using modern methods!

Source(s): I'm so sick of our government shipping all our money to terrorists - drill Alaska, buy the rest from South America and to hell with the Saudis and everybody else there.
  • Hally
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

They don't care; they want to suck America dry and then keep sending their gas money to Saudi Arabia so that some oil sheik can gold-plate the bidet in his palace's forty-third bathroom...

I will never understand what is so wrong with wanting energy independence.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

We have masses of oil reserves and natural gas that could sustain us for 100 years while alternative fuels are created.

Please give link....

Institute for Analysis of Global Security???

• 1 decade ago

Yes but we also have more coal then we could use in the next 500 years. Coal can be turned into gas cheaply. Cost per gallon $1.50

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I have a feeling that that 3% was talking about what we currently refine ourselves, and not our potential. More so, just because we don't have the oil capacities like others does not mean we should do more to lessen our import of petroleum and lessen our dependence on other countries.

• Brian
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I think the key word is conventional. There is other oil available that we now have the technology to tap at a reasonable expense. if you count those we have huge reserves, maybe larger than Saudi Arabia..

• 1 decade ago

The first step in recovering from an addiction is admitting you have a problem.

Palin and her drill baby, drill crowd are still deep in denial.

• ck4829
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Our national security demands that we get ourselves off of this addiction to oil pretty darn quickly.

Oil, period. Not just foreign oil either.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.