Spiritually speaking, what is your favorite non-english word?

My favorite words are German words that we don't quite have in English.

I love the word "treppenwitz" - which means that you think of the perfect thing to say, just a little too late. I also confess that I love the word "schadenfreude" - which means to take joy in someone elses pain.

Best Answer

Sawsnek - Cornish for English person

Source(s): I was going to say schadenfreude, Sawsnek (or sassanach in Scottish) is my next favourite, even though they aren't very respectful terms and I am English I love language, it is amazing. edit I was also considering slainte and failte as well. I also like Glasnost and perestroika as well. When I was in The netherlands I saw a Dutch SWAT van it was called a kalamitiesvehicle or something like that, that was a good one. There is a greek guy involved with my work called Plessis Du Plessis
  • Karen

Mayhem- De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas Burzum- Ashes

Weltschmerz (from the German, meaning world-pain or world-weariness).

and

Weltanschauung (composed of Welt, 'world', and Anschauung, 'view' or 'outlook'. It is a concept fundamental to German philosophy and epistemology and refers to a wide world perception. Additionally, it refers to the framework of ideas and beliefs through which an individual interprets the world and interacts with it.)

• Carpe Diem

Music.

In Holland I saw a famous Disney movie titled:-

Sni Widger und de Sieben Dwergens

I just love it.

• Pizza

[not a native english speaker]

i frequentlz use two german phrases, too.

Gruss Gott and Panzer marsch.

i use the first one as a regular greeting in my job,

the latter i use only when starting my car.

None of these is meant to propagate any oppresive regimes.

Source(s): then, the Banzai!

blackundedeckerheckenschneider - it's german for black and decker hedge trimmer.

brouillard. It's french for fog and is so fun to say! (broo-ee-ar).

feiji - chinese pinyin for train

taibhse - irish for ghosts

I like your words too. I see a lot of unusual words every day because I learn three languages in addition to english (french, german, mandarin chinese).

• Sylar

Que lastima. It's actually a sentence but i love saying it. It means (for all u non-Spanish speakers) What a shame.

Well i do like saying Yahta too. (that's probably not how u spell it). It means i did it in Japanese. (for all u people that don't watch Heroes.)