• Health >
  • Diseases & Conditions >
  • Respiratory Diseases
  • Health >
  • Diseases & Conditions >
  • Respiratory Diseases

Any homemade [or otherwise] remedies to help ease the dry/non-productive cough associated w/ Acute Laryngitis?

• Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
. For those who would like to help, here is a bit of clinical history: Yesterday, I was diagnosed with a sever case of Acute Laryngitis --- 3 days ago, though, they told me it ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
Go for a very brisk walk first thing in the morning take your Mucinex with a big glass of cranberry juice and a zinc supplement.
Irrigate your sinuses and gargle with warm normal saline. Stay mobile during the day.
About an hour before you're ready to go to sleep, take OTC Benadryl - it does a great job of drying up the PND, also a great cough suppressant. Sleep with your upper body elevated, not laying flat down. A warm compress on your chest will help, a heating pad on low will work.
Regarding the non steroidal anti inflammatory, All Nsaids are about the same, which ever one you have on hand will do just fine, take it with food cause they are murder on the gut.
Hope you feel better real soon.

Source:

Retired LVN...also a retired stripper, but that doesn't really apply here.

Asker's rating & comment

5 out of 5
I THANK YOU ALL, for your WONDERFUL suggestions and for having cared enough to help a cyber pal in need!

BA to all of you, though this time the official one goes to my favorite LVN & ex-stripper [;-)] (((((Frog)))))

.
  • 2
    0
  • Comment

Other Answers (3)

• Relevance
  • Rating
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • phil8656 answered 5 years ago
    Zinc lozenges have been proven to help get rid of viruses. Zinc tablets won't work as well because the mineral has to coat your throat. I also like to use Propolis in a honey base. Get the paste type and suck on a spoonful until it dissolves. It is a natural antibiotic and the honey soothes the throat. Being a Bee product it also gives an energy boost.
    • 2
      0
    • Comment
  • Just Be answered 5 years ago
    Guaifenesen would help, but I have also used hot tea with lots of honey to help with the irritation to the throat & it helps the cough also.
    I hope you get to feeling better!
    Many Blessings!
    EDIT:
    Advil will help with the swollen nasal passages more than Tylenol & the pain as well.
    If you take the Guaifenesen be sure to drink plenty of fluids. Vitamin C will also help, take it in smaller divided doses since whatever is not used immediately is lost & not stored.
    Many Blessings!
    • 2
      0
    • Comment
  • ? answered 5 years ago
    This may sound as if it won't work, I didn't think it would but I tried it and it really did.
    Before you go to bed at night put a layer of Vick's Vapor Rub on the bottom of your feet and put a pair of socks on. It doesn't sound like it would work but it helps me when I cough at night.
    This won't help with the fever and such but it should definitely get rid of the cough.
    • 2
      0
    • Comment
  • Any homemade [or otherwise] remedies to help ease the dry/non-productive cough associated w/ Acute Laryngitis?
    .

For those who would like to help, here is a bit of clinical history:

Yesterday, I was diagnosed with a sever case of Acute Laryngitis --- 3 days ago, though, they told me it was a sinus infection and put me on two different antibiotics [i.e. Gemifloxacin and Claritromicin]!

Needles to say, the antibiotics didn't do a thing for my [most likely viral] Laryngitis and I ended up in the ER in the middle of the night, feeling absolutely miserable and short of breath. There, they finally ran a few tests, including a quick swab for Strep (which came back negative) and a Laryngoscopy (which confirmed the Laryngitis diagnosis, as I had suspected from the beginning, especially in light of my hoarse voice and extreme rawness in the Larynx!)

BTW, the Facial X-ray showed no evidence of any sinus infection at all, but the chest X-ray came back with, and I'm quoting, "a very slight sign of infiltration" (for which they recommended that I continue taking the antibiotics). They also gave me a cough syrup and a nasal decongestant, which actually tend to dry up my airway passages even more. I've also been using a humidifier which helps a lot - though it provides mostly a temporary (10-15 min) relief.

Anyway, the real problem is: as soon as I lay down to get some rest, the post-nasal drip [plus, I’m guessing the piercing dryness, exasperated by breathing through my mouth] starts hitting my already inflamed (and what appears to be full of mucous/phlegm) Larynx, causing sever, relentless, frustrating, and above all “non-productive” coughs that don't let me get any sleep, at all. I've been coughing for 3 days straight, and have managed to get only 3-4 hours of intermittent sleep in that period. All that coughing has left me with a constant splitting headache (for which I take Tylenol) and extremely sore abdominal muscles (it’s like doing 500 sit-ups at a time).

Additional relevant info: Throughout this entire ordeal, I’ve only experienced a slight fever (if at all) and no swollen glands. I’m not a smoker, I don’t suffer from gastrointestinal reflux disease, nor do I practice any activity that might put serious strain on my vocal cords (e.g. singing etc.); and except for an occasional drink here and there, I’m not big on drinking either.

I’m guessing maybe I need something like Mucinex (Guaifenesen) to loosen up the phlegm + a corticosteroid therapy of sorts (though I would like to avoid it, if at all possible) or else a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug like Cataflam (diclofenac), to take care of the inflammation.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all, and Have a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

.
    Sign In 

to add your answer

3

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock