Any homemade [or otherwise] remedies to help ease the dry/non-productive cough associated w/ Acute Laryngitis?

. For those who would like to help, here is a bit of clinical history: Yesterday, I was diagnosed with a sever case of Acute Laryngitis --- 3 days ago, though, they told me it was a sinus infection and put me on two different antibiotics [i.e. Gemifloxacin and Claritromicin]! Needles to say, the... show more .

For those who would like to help, here is a bit of clinical history:

Yesterday, I was diagnosed with a sever case of Acute Laryngitis --- 3 days ago, though, they told me it was a sinus infection and put me on two different antibiotics [i.e. Gemifloxacin and Claritromicin]!

Needles to say, the antibiotics didn't do a thing for my [most likely viral] Laryngitis and I ended up in the ER in the middle of the night, feeling absolutely miserable and short of breath. There, they finally ran a few tests, including a quick swab for Strep (which came back negative) and a Laryngoscopy (which confirmed the Laryngitis diagnosis, as I had suspected from the beginning, especially in light of my hoarse voice and extreme rawness in the Larynx!)

BTW, the Facial X-ray showed no evidence of any sinus infection at all, but the chest X-ray came back with, and I'm quoting, "a very slight sign of infiltration" (for which they recommended that I continue taking the antibiotics). They also gave me a cough syrup and a nasal decongestant, which actually tend to dry up my airway passages even more. I've also been using a humidifier which helps a lot - though it provides mostly a temporary (10-15 min) relief.

Anyway, the real problem is: as soon as I lay down to get some rest, the post-nasal drip [plus, I’m guessing the piercing dryness, exasperated by breathing through my mouth] starts hitting my already inflamed (and what appears to be full of mucous/phlegm) Larynx, causing sever, relentless, frustrating, and above all “non-productive” coughs that don't let me get any sleep, at all. I've been coughing for 3 days straight, and have managed to get only 3-4 hours of intermittent sleep in that period. All that coughing has left me with a constant splitting headache (for which I take Tylenol) and extremely sore abdominal muscles (it’s like doing 500 sit-ups at a time).

Additional relevant info: Throughout this entire ordeal, I’ve only experienced a slight fever (if at all) and no swollen glands. I’m not a smoker, I don’t suffer from gastrointestinal reflux disease, nor do I practice any activity that might put serious strain on my vocal cords (e.g. singing etc.); and except for an occasional drink here and there, I’m not big on drinking either.

I’m guessing maybe I need something like Mucinex (Guaifenesen) to loosen up the phlegm + a corticosteroid therapy of sorts (though I would like to avoid it, if at all possible) or else a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug like Cataflam (diclofenac), to take care of the inflammation.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all, and Have a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

.
4 answers