I want to name my kids after Greek gods or goddesses but I want it to mean something. help?

I wanna name my kids after Greek or roman gods but I want the name to mean something.

I like Apollo- truth, music, sun, light

Athena- wisdom, thinking and learning, knowledge, reason, art & lit

Artemis- nature, moon, hunt, envirnment

is there anything similar or close to these gods that doesn't sound weird for my kids?

Favorite Answer

I especially love Athena.

I know three sisters, their names are

Xanthe:

Wife of Asclepius in Greek mythology, also one of the daughters of Oceanus.

Flavia:

This one comes from the Roman surname Flavius. Also from the Latin flavus, for golden, blonde.

Atlanta:

From the Greek heroine Atalanta. (Also the name of the capital city of Georgia)

Ares - god of war and bloodlust. His Roman equivalent is Mars.

Hera - goddess of women, marriage. Her Roman equivalent is Juno.

Other options, if you're also interested in Roman mythology include

Diana, who is the Roman equivalent of the Greek Artemis.

Victoria - Roman goddess of victory.

Others include Hebe, Demeter, Hercules/Herakles, Phoebe, Pan, Pax, Nike, Iris, Bacchus.

Antigone, Creon, Jocasta, Haemon, Ismene, all from Sophocles tragedies Antigone and Oedipus Rex.

Hector, Paris, Priam, Helen all of Troy.

Odysseus, Aeneas, Circe, Achilles.

I hope that gave you some to think about :)

Well, Hercules was a demi god because he was the son of a god and a mortal. His strength came from his god genes. When he was finally granted the right to live in Olympus, he married a female goddess named Hebe. Achilles, another with partial god ancestry, and Medea, with partial god ancestry, married after they both died and went to Olympus. Athena and Artemis took vows of chastity and apparently never had a serious relationship with anyone, although there are a few scattered stories about affairs. There are really no rules. The gods did who and what they wanted. But Zeus didn't think much of humans beyond being his playthings, so while he might have permitted affairs, he was likely to be restrictive about marrying. And generally, mortals weren't allowed on Olympus. Gods had to make their lovers immortal before they could bring them to Olympus. But that was fairly easy to do.

Honestly, I think there are very few Greek God(dess) names that are useable on people without sounding weird. You may be able to pull them off as middle names, but not so much as firsts.

I would stay away from Aphrodite, as she is commonly mistaken as the goddess of love. She is actually the goddess of sexuality, whilst she was also the goddess of beauty she was the patron of prostitutes...

There are vitually no male names that I would recommend - at least not as first names. I think the only useable female ones would be Athena, Maia (goddess of Spring) and/or Soleil (goddess of Summer).

Source(s): Greek Mythology nerd.

Aphrodite

In Greek mythology, Aphrodite is the goddess of love, beauty and sexual rapture. According to Hesiod, she was born when Uranus (the father of the gods) was castrated by his son Cronus. Cronus threw the severed genitals into the ocean which began to churn and foam about them. From the aphros ("sea foam") arose Aphrodite, and the sea carried her to either Cyprus or Cythera. Hence she is often referred to as Kypris and Cytherea. Homer calls her a daughter of Zeus and Dione.

After her birth, Zeus was afraid that the gods would fight over Aphrodite's hand in marriage so he married her off to the smith god Hephaestus, the steadiest of the gods. He could hardly believe his good luck and used all his skills to make the most lavish jewels for her. He made her a girdle of finely wrought gold and wove magic into the filigree work. That was not very wise of him, for when she wore her magic girdle no one could resist her, and she was all too irresistible already. She loved gaiety and glamour and was not at all pleased at being the wife of sooty, hard-working Hephaestus.

Read Edith Hamilton's "Mythology"

There's a whole plethora of Greek names in there with their meanings and what not.

Can I suggest maybe using variations of the greek names instead of the actual greek names themselves...

• xoxo

Well they ALL mean something. Here is a whole list which are really informative:

http://www.greek-gods.info/greek-gods/

My personal favs are Athena like you said also for girls Areia (form of Athena), Hera, Daphne (first love of Apollo), Pandora, for boys: Achilles, Orion, Perseus, Eros, and Atlas. Check that site out its awesome.

Athena is pretty. My personal favorite for a girl is Maia (My-ah).

Here's a link to what it means: http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/meaning_o...

Here's a link to all mythological names on this site. There's 899 listed, so hopefully this will help! It gives meanings and origins of all of them.

http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/category-...

athena is a beautiful name!

phoebe is a popular name for a greek goddess

there's thea also

the names you've chosen definitely are my favourite, though.

I know a girl who's parents did exactly the same.

The names are:

Cleopatra (Cleo)

Calypso

Catriona(Caty)

i think there really cute names

Antheia

Antheia was one of the Charites, or Graces, of Greek mythology and "was the goddess of flowers and flowery wreaths worn at festivals and parties." Her name is derived from the Ancient Greek word anthos, meaning flower, and she was depicted on vases as an attendant of Aphrodite with other Charites. She was known to the Romans as Anthea. Her center of worship was on the island of Crete.

Antheia is also the Greek name of Ancient Sozopolis in modern Bulgaria, and another Antheia was a village which was later adopted into Patras around 1000 BC.

Selene

Selene is the Titan goddess of the moon. In Greek mythology, Seléne (pronounced /seɪˈlɛːnɛː/; Greek: Σελήνη "moon") was an archaic lunar deity and the daughter of the Titans Hyperion and Theia.In Roman mythology, the moon goddess is called Luna, Latin for "moon".

Like most moon deities, Selene plays a fairly large role in her pantheon, which preceded the Olympic pantheon. However, Selene was eventually largely supplanted by Artemis, and Luna by Diana. In the collection known as the Homeric hymns, there is a Hymn to Selene (xxxii), paired with the hymn to Helios; in it, Selene is addressed as "far-winged", an epithet ordinarily applied to birds. Selene is mentioned in Nonnus, Dionysiaca 48.581; Pausanias 5.1.4; and Strabo 14.1.6,

The etymology of Selene is uncertain, but if the word is of Greek origin, it is likely connected to the word selas, meaning "brightness". Boreion Selas is the Greek name for Aurora Borealis, the "northern lights". In modern times, Selene is the root of selenology, the study of the geology of the Moon, and the chemical element selenium.

Urania

In Greek mythology, Urania (Οὐρανία, pronounced [jʊˈreɪnɪə] in English), was the muse of astrology. Some accounts list her as the mother of the musician Linus. She is usually depicted as having a globe in her left hand. She is able to foretell the future by the arrangement of the stars. She is often associated with Universal Love and the Holy Spirit. She is dressed in a cloak embroidered with stars and keeps her eyes and attention focused on the Heavens. Those who are most concerned with philosophy and the heavens are dearest to her.

Urania, o'er her star-bespangled lyre,

With touch of majesty diffused her soul;

A thousand tones, that in the breast inspire,

Exalted feelings, o er the wires'gan roll—

How at the call of Jove the mist unfurled,

And o'er the swelling vault—the glowing sky,

The new-born stars hung out their lamps on high,

And rolled their mighty orbs to music's sweetest sound.

—From An Ode To Music by James G. Percival

During the Renaissance, Urania began to be considered the Muse for Christian poets. Urania is the "heavenly muse" invoked in John Milton's epic poem Paradise Lost. In Muse, a magazine for children, Urania is one of the characters in the "Kokopelli and Co." comic by Larry Gonick published in each issue of the magazine. She is the only "old muse" who remains among the "new muses" featured in the magazine.

Harmonia

In Greek mythology, Harmonia is the immortal goddess of harmony and concord. Her Roman counterpart is Concordia, and her Greek opposite is Eris, whose Roman counterpart is Discordia.

Lyssa

Lyssa was the Greek goddess of rabies and mad rage. She was one of the Maniae (madnesses), a nurse of Eros and a daughter of Nyx, who was impregnated by the blood from the wound of the castrated Uranus. Lyssa's most famous (if not only) mythology is that she was the goddess who drove mad the dogs of the youth Actaeon to kill their master, after the hunter had glanced upon the nakedness of a bathing Artemis, and did not look away. Lyssa is commonly referred to as the Greek goddess of craziness.

Lyssa is also a fusiform structure in the top of a dogs tongue that is made of muscular, fatty and connective tissue. Thought at one time to be the cause of rabies.

Source(s): here are my sources http://www.theoi.com/Daimon/Lyssa.html and Wikipedia