Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

a question about samson and the donkey jawbone?

so he was surrounded by enemies and he didn't have any weapons with him so he broke the donkey's jaw and use it as a weapon. but why the jaw? why not the legs? a donkey's jaw is so much smaller then it's legs and there's no advantage, you can't stab with it, stab it, or throw it. I am serious. why the jaw?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The account at Judges 15:15 reports that Samson found the moist jawbone. It does not say that he broke the donkey's jaw.

Why the jawbone? Everything Samson accomplished was by means of God - his incredible strength - has its source in God's holy spirit - even as the accounts say: God's spirit became operative upon Samson. It is by this means that he slew a thousand men with the jawbone; it is by holy spirit that he broke his fetters. The point is that Samson never did anything in his own strength. Thus, the fact that he put to death 1,000 men with the frail jawbone of a donkey emphasizes that his God was with him at all times. The glory is to God, not Samson. If Samson had used something capable of putting to death 1,000 men with ease, then the glory would be to Samson. Do you see?

Hannah J Paul

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

according to judges15:14-16, Samson had been bound by the philistines the Spirit of the Lord came mightily upon him and the binding loosened on him as flax in the fire.

in Judges 15:15, we see that Samson, FOUND a new jawbone of an ***, put forth his hand and took it and slew a thousand men with it. The new jawbone means one that was still fresh, it had not been dead long.

It does not say that Samson killed the ***. This was the divine intervention of God.

Samson was blessed of God since his birth and God was with him. The advantage was God's help.

• 1 decade ago

In most cases God will use the smallest things to make the biggest statement. If you had ever been trained to look for, and use whatever is at hand to be a weapon, this would not seem such a reach to you. To those who have not it may. In either case. The statement is the same, he overcame by the power of God.

• 1 decade ago

i think the donkey was dead, and it was what was simply convenient at that exact point in time.i plus you have to remember that these are stories so in a sense it's a way of "flourishing" the teaching. imagine you saw your best friend whoop 1000 people with a donkeys jaw...i bet you'd talk about it til you die.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I think the donkey was already dead when Samson picked up his jaw. It is easy to visualize.

• 1 decade ago

He didn't kill the donkey or break its jaw. He found the jawbone of a donkey that had died. God provided the weapon for him.

• shell
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

he also killed a lion and a bear with his bear hands,,with god almighty all things are possible,,do you believe this,,,all answers to your questions are they not before your eyes when reading,,or are your ears closed,,and you are blind,}:>(..

• 1 decade ago

why not? it worked,a 1000 of his enemy no longer bother him.

• 1 decade ago

I think he did it so he could say, even if he lost the fight, that he "busted someone's a*s".

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Sampson will have to answer that

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.