What has been your experience with moving an online relationship into real life?

• Kat*
    Favorite Answer

When I met Carlos in person he was almost exactly like what I was expecting. I think we're both very "ourselves" online so it wasn't like meeting a whole new person who shattered the wonderful image I had of him before we met. We both knew how we felt about each other and when we met it basically just confirmed everything. As long as you have a solid relationship going into the "in person" stage and you've been honest and true to who you really are along the way, things should go smoothly.

Everyone who's saying it doesn't work; you've either never done it or never done it right.

No but I know 2 couples who met each other online, one was 2 single people one was a married girl who I couldn't even believe got 1 guy let alone 2 but she's now married with 2 kids with him.

i think online dating is the worst way to date ever. what the heck happens if you have an attraction online... and then you meet each other in person and it's not there at all? awkward.... seriously. i mean i guess it can be good for shy people who are too scared to go out and find other shy people... but i think it can be dangerous and makes a person seem desperate like they cant find something in real life. but hey that is just my opinion. im sure there has been a few great instances from people dating online, whaev. floats your boat!

I had a 3 month relationship with a person I met online, she is the lead singer of a well known Industrial music group. I don't want to put her on a pedestal though, cos she was an evil cow....

Edit - What Kurb says is correct, it's much better to know the person in real life first.

• I did it once and it didn't work out. He was more funny and fun loving and confident online than he was in real life, which was what attracted me to him in the first place.

I thought he was perfect and the answer to all my problems.

He seemed to to be confident, but when I got to know him properly he became needy and clingy.

I dumped him in the end, it has made me more cautious, but not adverse to meeting someone online again.

when you meet in person it is like starting over from scratch anyway. it might work might not - same as real life. it's easier for some people to do that because they don't have the time to get out, but i'd prefer just to skip to the meeting part.

It could work but you gotta meet in real life first and have several days to know each other. Love works in mysterious ways.

Sorry I just can't see that happening for myself. I need to get to know someone really really well before there would be a relationship and you can't know someone that well on the internet. That being said, I won't say it can't happen, but not for me.

I have some very dear contacts on the internet but I can't see it being more than friendship. Good question.

I met a girl in person from CA when I was living in TX. I was in Iraq (in the Army) and she met me when I got home from Iraq, after talking with her for several months while I was overseas. It would have worked, but I was having issues with PTSD and the war and so we eventually broke up. I would advise anyone that it can work. It's the same as meeting someone in person: you both have to want it to work if it is going to work.

sometimes it work you'll never know unless you give it a whirl what's the worst that can happen you're back where you started and i know a 2 people who tried it and it worked out great ones married that has a baby the other is now dating