Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 decade ago

I need help thinking of Supreme Court cases that overturned past ones?

like how brown v board of education overturned Plessy v. Fergurson.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Sage
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The case that overturned the longest-lasting precedent was Erie RR Co. v. Tompkins, 304 U.S. 64 (1938). Erie overturned Swift v. Tyson, 41 U.S. 1 (1842). In Erie, the Supreme Court overturned a precedent that had existed for 96 years. Swift had held that, in diversity cases, federal courts should apply federal common law. 96 years later, Erie held that there was no federal common law, and federal courts sitting in diversity cases should apply state law.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

All we need to do is look at what is proposed and make sure there is no bigotry in it. responding to the diversity ideas already posted. Do you understand what this law or person is saying? It looks like it means if we give the name diversity it is ok, whether supporting more, a group or an individual. I say this because I support what the founding fathers supported. We all must go against any support that is above others! If you look at the wording of some, you never know what is supported by them? Is he/she without opinion on the cases, or is he/she saying we have not right to opinion and other lawmakers can keep us in limbo until we loose all rights for anyone but those who made the new laws? Earl

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.