Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

Why Does Stella McCartney Have Silk & Wool In Her Clothing Line?

Look at this :

http://www.stellamccartney.com/us/en/shopStella/Fa...

http://www.stellamccartney.com/us/en/shopStella/AU...

Almost all of the coats are made out of wool?!

Now I thought she didnt use animal products AT ALL ?!

The last time I checked Silk & Wool were both animal derived products:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk

Alot of sites say she is vegan.

I am personally a vegan and I have loved all the work she has done for animals and I understand the 1st commentors point, but still she claims to not use ANY animal products at all when she is clearly lying.....another thing what is this i see on her site about CASHMERE LINEN?! What is that?

Favorite Answer

Wow. You caught her red handed!!!

You should message this to her, see what excuse they give, right?

I have animal product myself (guilty, I know). But I think that if someone is going to rally against this sort of practice they should be 100% about it.

Good research by the way!!!

P.S. what the person before me said about "friendly" and not harmful: did the animals give their permission? Also, shearing is a human thing... I don't recall Noah handing out razors and clippers when the sheep exited the ark, and I right? And I think silk worms would rather be in their natural environment and not be contained and have their silk pulled out of their behinds as much as we do versus their normal rates of silk production if left in the wild. Again, I am not saying it is wrong, but it seems shady for someone to say they are advocates of cute animals... but then shave sheep and tank on silk worms behind closed doors.

Stella Mccartney Vegan

Stella Mccartney Wiki

To the best of my understanding she isn't and in no way has been a vegan fashion designer. She is vegetarian. there's a difference. Vegans won't use any - ANY - animal products. Vegetarians basically merchandise to animal products derived from the dying of pronounced animal. There certainly is silk, referred to as peace silk, the place the silk laptop virus isn't killed.

i wonder this too, as silkworms are killed during silk extraction (think they die from being heated) for all those who say they aren't , go and research it and you'll see its true!

i guess she can make more varied designs with these 2 products, may be difficult to think of new ideas season after season! it'd be great if she stopped though!

i read the other day that there is veggie friendly silk, where the worms make their way out of the cocoons alive, without being 'cooked'-probably more expensive though but maybe she should switch to this im sure she can afford it!

she is vegetarian btw.

• ?

A lacto-ovo-vegetarian[5], McCartney does not use fur or leather in her designs and supports PETA.[6] Some of McCartney's designs have text that elaborates on her "no animal" policy; for example, one of her jackets for Adidas says, "suitable for sporty vegetarians" on the sleeve. Her father is also known for supporting PETA by protesting against designers who use animal fur and those who wear it. Stella does use wool, silk, and other animal-derived fabrics in her designs.

So there you go... She is a lacto-ovo-vegetarian, not a vegan...

It is not harmful to the animal to use silk and wool. In fact, it's a lot friendlier to the sheep if they are sheared regularly. It's just like using bamboo instead of wood - they are sustainable resources.

Ahh, that is weird, i had no idea, i've only ever been drawn to her boots and shoes, which all appear to be vegan?

I was pretty sure she claimed to be vegan?

Is Stella a vegan?

Paul is and Linda was, but that doesn't automatically make her a vegan as well.