Can I get ticketed for tinted windows?

So I got ticked for having my two front windows tinted on my car. Can they do that? They weren't even that dark. By the way I live in chicago Illinois if that applies to anything. Thanks

for

the help

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago

If the tint was darker than allowed by law, yes they can give you a ticket. Check with the Illinois Attorney General's office to see if there is a law on the books regulating how dark the windows can be.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, but when you are stopped they must use a device to test the tint darkness against your state's tint limit laws. Usually, you will be given 10 days to have it removed. Just show that proof to the judge and it will be dismissed. Otherwise, keep it on and just pay the ticket.

Source(s): tickets given to me and family members in past.
  • WRG
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

On the ticket there is a listing of the law that they say you violated. Google that law and see what it says.

There are laws in almost every state and many local laws dealing with window tinting, what windows it can be on and how dark it can be.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, a police officer can ticket you for tinted windows as long as they are tinted more than 65%- that is if you take pitch black and decrease it by 35% that's how dark your windows can be. This is so that the police officers can know who is driving your car (if you report it stolen) and so your vision while driving is not impaired.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes you can. Me and my cousins got pulled over in Michigan because his Mustang's windows were "too tinted". As the above poster said, check your state laws on how tinted they can be. They give percentages I believe, and any window tinter should know them, so just tell them that you would like your car to be street legal, please and thank you.

Source(s): Got pulled over for it.
  • 1 decade ago

only the rear windows can be tinted.thats the law unless you have a medical condition that states other wise.

• 1 decade ago

What you asking us for? You already have the ticket!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.