Can a non US citizen be president of the United States?

AP- WASHINGTON D.C. - In a move certain to fuel the debate over Obama's qualifications for the presidency, the group "Americans for Freedom of Information" has Released copies of President Obama's college transcripts from Occidental College .. Released today, the transcript indicates that Obama, under the name Barry Soetoro, received financial aid as a foreign student from Indonesia as an undergraduate at the school. The transcript was released by Occidental College in compliance with a court order.

The transcript shows that Obama (Soetoro) applied for financial aid and was awarded a fellowship for foreign students from the Fulbright Foundation Scholarship program. To qualify, for the scholarship, a student must

Claim foreign citizenship. This document would seem to provide the smoking gun that many of Obama's detractors have been seeking. Along with the evidence that he was first born in Kenya and there is no record of him ever applying for US citizenship, this is looking pretty grim. The news has created a firestorm at the White House as the release casts increasing doubt about Obama's legitimacy and qualification to serve as president.

When reached for comment in London , where he has been in meetings with British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, Obama smiled but refused comment on the issue.

Under growing pressure from several groups, Justice Antonin Scalia announced that the Supreme Court agreed on Tuesday to hear arguments concerning Obama's legal eligibility to serve as President in a case brought by Leo Donofrio of New Jersey . This lawsuit claims Obama's dual citizenship disqualified him from serving as president. Donofrio's case is just one of 18 suits brought by citizens demanding proof of Obama's citizenship or qualification to serve as president.

Gary Kreep of the United States Justice Foundation has released the results of their investigation of Obama's campaign spending. This study estimates that Obama has spent upwards of $950,000 in campaign funds in the past year with eleven law firms in 12 states for legal resources to block disclosure of any of his personal records. Mr. Kreep indicated that the investigation is still ongoing but that the final report will be provided to the U.S. Attorney general.

LET OTHER FOLKS KNOW THIS NEWS, THE MEDIA WON'T !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Obama is an American citizen and was born in HA. I am not a fan of him as I did not vote for him but these kind of arguments do nothing. It stoops to the same level of people who say Bush didnt really win the 2000 election. If this is going to be the Republican main argument against Obama he will win re-election in 2012 just like Bush won in 04. The funny thing is McCain was born outside the US in the Panama canal (due to his father's military service) this still allowed McCain to be a citizen by birth as it should! Please Obama was born in Hawaii and if you really dont want him to be President don't vote for him and take issue with him on the issues and what he stands for not this crap. By the way the Supreme Court shot down an argument to hear this in front of the Supreme Court so get the facts straight.

Source(s): Moderate Republican when I see crap like this want to become an independent. Really whats the difference between the two parties anymore?
  • 4 years ago

Careful research would involve knowing he was born in Hawaii and Hawaii is a state. Maybe not part of the main 48 but non the less Hawaii is still a state. If he wasn't a citizen, do you really think they'd just let him run? I don't...I trust them to make sure everyone plays by the rules. He is a natural born citizen...he would not have gotten this far in the election if he wasn't, if the they had some reason to believe that he wasn't a citizen.

• x x
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Arnold Schwarzenegger has been trying to get rid of that pesky little rule for 30 years.

Got that from some people in So. Cal a long time ago.

Obama might inadvertently give it to him in a round about way.

Obama was born in Hawaii, a very simple check of his mother's travel records would stop this without a birth certificate, simple. You can find out what ship I came to the states on in 1965 what date it left, even which cabin I stayed in! Obama does not want to stop this because it makes these kooks look, well kooky!

His Father's declaring him a muslim and an Indonesian is a problem but not disqualifying because he had no control of it and did not reach the age of majority. It would be embarrassing but not disqualifying.

Here is the problem - His college record? Did he write on the application that he was an Indonesian?

As an adult that would constitute are revocation of his US citizenship. Follow the real citizenship problem and stop looking like a kook following the birth certificate.

Why do you think he keeps giving you his birth certificate and not his Occidental University Application?

• 1 decade ago

The reason you need to do your own research is that this was an April Fools Day satire. There is no "Americans for Freedom of Information". Well, they do have a website where they explain that they do not exist... http://amfoi.wordpress.com/

No transcripts from Occidental have ever been released. Try to find them. The article claims to be from the AP. Try to find any legitimate news organization that published this. Try Fox News. You won't find it, because it is fiction.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

1- For years I've tried to tell people in other countries that the US isn't full of ignorant racist people when they ask me about it. However, I've came to conclude that the outside world is right about us. We are nothing but stupid racist sob's who can't focus on our real problems and are focusing on stupid none sense.

2- It'll impossible for him to get accepted to run for a president if he didn't pass security clearance. Meaning that even if he was born in Mars(if possible) the FBI would had found that out.

3- I'm 100% positive that if Obama was fully white no one would had questioned where he was born. I'm even sure that even if there was a video of his birth in some hospital that says "The Great Hospital of Hawaii" stupid ppl would have said that the tape was fake. I hate to admit this about our country but we do really have a lot of stupid people who like to say stupid things.

3- How come no one ever questioned Sara Palin's high school diploma or bush's Yale degree. If Obama was not mixed would we had ever talked about where he was born?

4- There is no records of Obama's mom traveling to Africa before Obama's birth. Or maybe his mom didn't write on the birth certificate that Obama was born in Kenya because she had the feelings that he was going to run for presidency one day.

Source(s): Common Sense
  • 1 decade ago

When is this conspiracy theory BS going to end? If Obama was in another country going to school he was automatically a "foreign student" because his citizenship was from the USA! Obama's birth certificate has been shown to be Hawaiian - a US state - so this is all a bunch of nonsense. I noticed you don't provide one single link to back up your claim - would you care to edit this post so that there is? Also, be sure to link to legitimate reliable news sources - not crackpot websites that only claim to be.

• 1 decade ago

This whole letter is a lie and a hoax, and has been going around the internet for quite some time, having been debunked a while ago.

Occidental never released his college records.

Try to keep up.

• 1 decade ago

The above was a hoax. There was no group called Americans for Freedom of Information.

There was no AP story.

Source(s): Factcheck.org
  • 1 decade ago

The answer is "NO"

but, under the circumstance,

there would be chaos in the U.S.,riots, leave the U.S. without a proper leader (Biden?)

Therefore this issue must be left alone

or else suffer dyer consequences

• Randy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

And a date for this news flash is......?

And the source where it could be found online, on an AP affiliated site is.......?

Not that I don't believe you (or that I do believe you) but if you are going to quote something at least put where you found it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.