Drywall and level 5 finish?

I am apply a level 5 finish. I plan on spraying the mud on the wall. Any ideas on wiping the mud off the walls., besides a drywall knife?

Favorite Answer

A level 5 finish is required most often when walls call for no texture at all. Most hospitals I've worked on call for level 5 finish. Also, level 5 is useful if you have a lot of natural light coming into the building, as it will hide or prevent almost all flashing underneath the paint.

Level 0 is no finish. No tape, nothing. Just sheetrock.

Level 1 is commonly referred to as "fire tape" Joints are taped 1 coat, seams 1 coat, screw holes are hit one time usually. This is usually seen in spaces not visible to the finished building. (inside ceilings, crawlspaces, etc.) It allows a firewall to meet code, which is why it's referred to as fire taping.

Level 2 is a level 1 finish, with a second coat to fill in joints and level out seams. You'll see this in areas under ceramic tile and such. Not specified very often.

Level 3 is one of the more common ones. 3 total coats, with no tool marks and a smooth finish.

Level 4 is 4 coats, same as 3 just with a final very thin coat to fill in the smallest knicks and scratches. I personally, have never seen a level 4 finish called out in a spec book.

Level 5 is an immaculate finish. Tape to a level 4 finish, then coat the ENTIRE surface with a skim coat topping. The ENTIRE SURFACE. A level 5 will provide a beautiful finish for all kinds of finishes.

One other thing, is that you can't spray on drywall mud. A level 5 finish is actually five separate coats of drywall mud, the last being a separate material than the first 4. Use a compound made specifically for skim coating. Only an experienced taper can achieve a true level 5 finish.

Source(s): Commercial Contractor