Alice
Lv 4
Alice asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

Vegetarian in desperate need of Thanksgiving recipes?

Okay, so this is my 6th year as a vegetarian and I am sick and tired of having nothing but mashed potatoes and green beans (which I hate to begin with) to eat. Someone help?

I would love some great recipes and products to use. Where to you find ToFurkey (also, is it good? Because I just saw a picture and it looks... less than desirable)?

Thank you for all the help in advanced :)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Mushroom Miso Soup

from Soy of Cooking, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. ©Marie Oser 1996

Flavorful, and dairy-free, this creamy soup has a velvety smooth texture. Mellow white miso adds the goodness of soy and unique flavor notes. Nutritional yeast contributes flavor and texture as well as high quality protein and minerals, along with B vitamins, particularly vitamin B-12. Look for mellow white miso and nutritional yeast (vegetarian support formula) at health food stores and some supermarkets.

8 Servings

1 1/2 tsp. olive oil

1 1/2 cups chopped sweet onion, Maui onion

6 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper

8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced

6 ounces portobello mushrooms, diced

4 cups vegetable broth (beef flavored), hot

1 cup white wine or additional vegetable broth

2 medium red skin potatoes, par boiled, quartered and peeled

1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil

3 Tbsp. whole wheat flour

1 cup soymilk lite

1/3 cup mellow white miso (or other light-colored miso)

1/3 cup nutritional yeast

1 rounded Tbsp. onion soup mix

DirectionsHeat oil in a 5-quart saucepan, add onions, garlic and bell pepper, saute 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, cook 5 minutes, add wine, hot broth and reduce heat to low. Add potatoes and simmer mixture 25 minutes. Heat oil in a small saucepan, over medium high heat, 30 seconds. Add flour, stirring to form a roux. Whisk in soymilk. Stir until sauce thickens. Set aside. Scoop 2/3 of the veggies from the soup into a food processor; blend until smooth. Add miso and blend again. Scrape mixture back into soup, stirring until blended. Whisk in white sauce and mix thoroughly. While stirring, over medium heat, add yeast along with onion soup mix and heat just until soup comes to a boil. Remove from heat and serve.

We want to let you know that Dole Foods has started a Facebook page and Twitter feed where we share a lot of easy, healthy recipes. If you're interested you should join! There is also an awesome contest going on where you can win a trip to the Four Seasons in California!

To check it out: http://bit.ly/35ebFi

or

Twitter: http://bit.ly/15XFaJ

Hope you like it!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

To answer your second question - I have had Tofurkey and thought it was horrible. You can buy it at most health food stores and Trader Joe's carries it during the holidays too, but I would avoid it like the plague if I was you.

We usually stuff a squash, Kabota works well, as does a small pie pumpkin. Use any kind of stuffing you like, although wild rice stuffing pairs nicely. If you cut the lid off the squash carefully, you can roast it with the rest of the stuffed squash and then put it back on before serving. Makes for a nice centerpiece (surround it with fresh steamed veggies) and it will put a turkey on a platter to shame!

• C
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

This year I'm eating Seitan stuffed with stuffing with gravy as my main dish. So yummy. The recipe I'm using is in Vegan Planet, however you can find a variation on it here: http://www.vegan.com/recipes/vegan-thanksgiving-re...

You could probably find that actual recipe (which I've made before I loved) on amazon or Google Books.

If you want to keep it simple you could make a shepherd's pie. It's basically pot pie but with mashed potatoes on top instead of pastry crust. Here's a possible recipe: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/05/skillet-garde...

You could make a pumpkin soup. Pretty straightforward.

Here's some other ideas:

http://www.vegan.com/recipes/vegan-thanksgiving-re...

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/11/trying-on-tha...

http://www.101cookbooks.com/holiday_recipes/

Hope that helps!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

these are what im making(:

Marinated Tofu:

2 (1-pound) blocks firm or extra-firm tofu, drained and rinsed

2 teaspoons tamari or soy sauce

1/4 cup water

1 teaspoon olive oil

2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar

1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs

Cornbread Stuffing:

2 teaspoons olive oil, soy margarine or butter

1/2 medium onion, chopped

2 ribs celery, chopped

1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped

1 teaspoon dried leaf sage

4 cups crumbled stale cornbread or corn muffins

1 cup vegetable broth plus more if needed

1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste

To make tofu: Cut blocks in half lengthwise. Working from a long side of each block, scoop out some tofu with a teaspoon, leaving a cavity in each of four halves for stuffing. Save scooped tofu for another purpose such as a stir-fry or soup. Combine tamari, water, oil, vinegar and herbs. Add scooped-out blocks of tofu, turn to coat, cover and refrigerate at least 20 minutes or overnight, if possible.

To make stuffing: Heat oil in a large saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Add onions, celery, carrots and sage. Saute 5 minutes until lightly browned. Add crumbled cornbread to pan and mix well. Pour broth over cornbread and combine well. Add parsley, salt and pepper. Stuffing should be moist and able to be scooped. You can add a bit more water or broth, if needed.

To assemble: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Divide stuffing among tofu shells and press gently into cavities you created. Place in a baking dish and bake, uncovered, 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown and heated through. Serve. Makes 4 servings.

veggies.!

1/4 cup dry sherry or apple juice

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

2 tablespoons olive oil

Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste

2 medium eggplant, thickly sliced

2 large Vidalia or other sweet onions, quartered

4 large red bell peppers, cut into eighths

2 cups whole button mushrooms

Combine sherry, vinegar, oil and salt and pepper in a large nonreactive salad bowl and mix well.

Add eggplant, onions, red bell peppers and mushrooms; toss to coat well. Marinate at room temperature 3 hours, tossing occasionally.

Preheat a gas or charcoal grill or a broiler element. Put veggies on grill or on a broiler pan under broiler element. Let grill or broil, basting with marinade, 20 minutes or until golden and soft. Serve warm. Makes 8 servings.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Google Stuffed Acorn Squash with wild rice. I made this the other day as it was fantastic. I used a wild rice mix (already seasoned), sauteed onions, chopped walnuts and raisins. Throw cranberries in it too!

• 3 years ago

Vegetable is not really a technological term, it is a cooking term. So the qualifications to become a vegetable are not very coherent, which is why we have cases like the tomato: people argue both ways.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

We favor vegetables but like fruits that we use in salad such as tomatoes and avocados.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

tofurkey's kinda gross..has an artificial flavor and rubbery texture

you could make dressing with vegetable broth instead of chicken/turkey. we always take seasoned dressing croutons (that have no chicken broth in them) stovetop does. and add celery, waterchestnuts, mushrooms.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.