Rusty asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

Cannot save a jpeg file in photoshop 7?

I have been a photoshop user for fourteen years. I have photoshop 7 and all of a sudden I cannot save files as JPEGS. My files are 8 bit, RGB, not duplicates, and not B&W. Saving as copy doesn't work. Nothing works. I can only save them as photoshop files. I've never encountered this before. I don't know if it was some other program I put into my computer that's holding these files or what. Reloading the program doesn't help. The error message I get says "Could not save as (name of file) because that document is currently open. Save using a different name..blah blah. But the file is not open in photoshop or any other program (sigh) Does anybody out there know what's happened here?

Favorite Answer

If you haven't tried it already, restart your computer. Often times programs running in the background still have the file you're trying to save over loaded in the memory, and even though you think you closed them, through some glitch they are still accessing the file. Restarting should fix it.

So, save your files as PSDs (so you don't lose the work you've done on the images), reboot, open the PSD files, and then try saving them as jpegs.