Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 decade ago

Do you ever feel like your forced to introduce Santa to your kids?

I am not against the holidays or anything at all I love Christmas even the crappy materialisticness of it. I am also not particularly religious, but I am also not against anyone doing whatever they do for their holiday ect. Our daughter is 2.5 and the first year she was born I often though about not ever doing the whole "Santa" thing. But then I realized living in our society it isn't really an option. I mean I wouldn't want to deprive her of that "magic" or anything. But at the same time I think there is something sort of cruel about the whole Santa bit. I mean from a young age we flat out lie to our kids and tell them this fat old man is constantly watching them (sounds a bit pervey to me LOL) and if they behave then they get gifts. All the while we are secretly running around for a month trying to buy things and hide them then wrapping them secretly at 1am 2 days before LOL. And are up until 5 am trying to build whatever toy they HAD to have, even though the directions are in like chinese or the pictures are unrecognizable. Then when they hit say 7-9 we decide they are too old to sit on the pervy man's lap at the mall so we crush their dreams and tell them it was all a lie and that mom and dad have been doing it the whole time. And yet we have no choice. Becasue I wouldn't want my kid to be the one in the preschool class to inform her other 13 class mates that Santa isn't real her mommy said so. Like I said I LOVE Christmas and I wouldn't have NOT told her about Santa, mostly becasue what other alternative do we really have; unless we become Jewish or totally non-demoninational or something LOL. But the whole carrying on this pointless lie for like 8 years really kind of bothers me

Well she's 2.5 now so we did tell her about Santa last year. However she doesn still refuse to go near him LOL

Favorite Answer

I was talking about this with a friend just yesterday. I have NOTHING against Santa Claus. I LOVED being excited for Santa to come on Christmas Eve when I was a kid. I was raised in a Christian family & my parents told me about Jesus and Santa. And there is really no way around your kids hearing about Santa from somewhere. They'll see a Coke commercial or hear about it from school or friends. And then they'll wonder anyway. I don't think there is any harm in it. I mean... I wasn't devastated when I found out that he was fictitious and actually, for a few years I still pretended just for the fun of it. I never hated my parents for "lying" to me.

I've heard good arguments from the other side too, though. My cousin said she won't tell her kids about Santa because "She works hard to make the money to buy their presents. Why credit her hard work to some guy who doesn't even exist." Good point....

Honestly, how many adults do you know that felt "traumatized" to learn that Santa wasn't real? For that matter, how many adults do you know that felt lied to by their parents for being allowed to believe in Santa? Everyone has a choice in whether or not to introduce Santa as a real part of Christmas or as simply a fairy tale. How do you think those who don't celebrate Christmas explain it to their kids? If you feel that it's a "pointless lie" and it bothers you, then tell your little girl that Santa (and the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny) are stories that people make up and that some people believe that he's real even though he isn't. It's not like her knowing that Santa isn't real is going to get you off the hook for running around for a month and trying to hide things and staying up late to wrap them. My brother and I knew that our parents hid Christmas presents LONG before we stopped believing in Santa.

By time kids are 5 or 6, I think they already have a suspicion that he's not real. So by the time they find out for sure that he's not real, it's really no shocker.

Especially that once they realize that even though he's not real, they're still going to get gifts...they really don't care that he's not real.

It's not like once you quit believing, you quit getting Christmas presents. It's just now they know it's really mom and dad and not a fat guy in a suit.

I don't consider it lying to your kids. After all, there really was a Santa Claus years and years ago.

I know how you feel, I have been trying to instead think of a way to explain like the whole spirit of christmas thing and what santa stands for. But its difficult because believing in santa is like a great part of being a kid, as I remember anyway.

I think you can still enjoy Christmas with your kids and not have to do the whole Santa thing. I have a four year old and she would not care if the UPS guy brought her presents... she only wants the excitement of having gifts under the tree to open. You will not scar your kid for life. :)

No one is forcing you to tell your children the myth of Santa...I have plenty of friends who have decided to tell their kids that there isn't really a santa, and that mommy and daddy work really hard so they can have presents at Christmas.

Sadly, it sounds like you have never got to experience the magic of Christmas. Unfortunately, your kids will probably be the same way because of how unenthusiastic you are. Really, really unfortunate.

Read "The Polar Express" or the real story of St. Nicholas and maybe that will help you get over yourself and help you see Christmas through the eyes of a child. By the way, I don't know any kids whose parents had to tell them that Santa wasn't real. . .most kids find out on their own and by the time they do, it isn't that big of a shock. My parents continued to play santa until my sister's and I moved out of the house.

Source(s): My dad was super enthusiastic about Christmas. He loved being santa every year. Thanks to that, Christmas is the most magical and special time of the year even though I am obviously old enough to know that Santa is just a myth . . . not to mention that I'm not even Christian anymore, lol. I'm Muslim.

We never did Santa because we don't do Christmas. When our daughter was about four, we were at the mall, and she saw a Santa. She asked, "Who's the guy in red?" I told her he was pretending to be Santa, and that some parents tell their children Santa brings presents at Christmas.

It was no big deal.

All the best.

I never forced Santa on to my son. My parents never forced him on to us either. We sort of believed in him for awhile. I never really liked the man. Every picture of me sitting on Santa's lap, I have the meanest look on my face. I wasn't afraid of him, I just didn't like him. I only have 3 pictures of my son on Santa's lap. After 3 he wanted nothing to do with him. He's 10 now. I'm still not sure if he believes or not. He won't sit on his lap or even write him a letter. I asked him how santa is supposed to know what he wants if he doesn't tell him. My son told me that Santa is like God. When you pray to God you also include your christmas list and God tells Santa. I never heard that one before. But I guess I'll go with it. I'm sure Santa and God are friends. They are both very nice guys. They both give people gifts if they're good.

I just never really mentioned Santa to him. Grandma did get the pictures done. I sort of played along if he mentioned it. I never really made a big deal out of it. We wrap presents and put them under the tree as soon as we buy them. We save one really good one for Christmas morning. Nothing gets put together the night before. If you put the good stuff together they play with it right away. Make them wait for you to put it together. That way they will play with the other toys too.

If you don't like it, then don't do it. Personally I think it's a lot of fun for little kids - my parents told me after Christmas when I was 5, and I was disappointed, but I never saw it as "THOSE BASTARDS LIED TO ME!!!" But it's your choice as a parent - just make sure she keeps in on the downlow around other kids.

You can do it where you dress up as Santa but you make sure she knows it's just a story - it'll still be fun for her - I mean, I knew that the characters at DisneyWorld were just people in costumes, but it was still fun to meet Goofy.

Christmas has never been and never will be a "pointless lie" to me. My husband and I genuinely enjoy the holidays and the good spirit it brings. You choose to live your life the way you want to. I think your bad attitude about the whole thing will probably ruin it for your child.