Lubyloo asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

Does Nebraska have a chance at beating Texas in the Big 12 game?

Nebraska has a great defense, an okay offense, and is pretty good on special teams. I haven't watched many Texas games this year. Does Nebraska have any hope of beating Texas?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Veto R
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Nebraska won the Big 12 North, so it ain't like the Cornhuskers are New Mexico State. The Cornhuskers, with a game remaining against Colorado, should come into the title game with a 9-3 record. They could easily be 11-1 as they lost by two to Iowa State (9-7) and one to Virginia Tech, (16-15).

Although they have proven inconsistent this year, Nebraska's defense is giving up 10.3 points per game. Texas Tech is the only team to score more than 20 on the Huskers, beating Nebraska 31-10. Led by Ndamukong Suh, the Cornhuskers' front seven is particularly tough and Texas' biggest weakness is the lack of a strong running game. You can expect Suh to introduce himself to Texas quarterback Colt McCoy at least once or twice during the game.

The Cornhuskers' offense has also been inconsistent. Still, Roy Helu has 1,057 yards rushing and 10 touchdowns while averaging 5.5 yards per carry. Zac Lee, who has thrown for 1,858 yards and 12 scores against seven picks, is back in control behind center. Lee has shown ability in the past to make big plays in key situations.

Texas is not Texas Tech, in that they have not abandoned the run and are not comfortable with not being able to run the ball. Texas must manage some type of running game to win, even if their running game is mediocre. So, if Suh and company can stop the run and force Texas to throw every down, there's a chance. They have to take Jordan Shipley away without creating obvious holes in the secondary for McCoy to exploit. And, in addition to shutting down the run, Suh and his compatriots must keep McCoy company throughout the game.

On offense, Nebraska has to get Helu going. If Helu is having a good game, the 'Huskers will keep the ball on offense, making it really difficult for McCoy to score while he stands on the sidelines. Lee has to play well and make a few plays in the passing game, which, again, he is capable of doing. The offense needs to win the field position battle. Assisting them will be punter Alex Henery who averages a tick over 41 yards a punt and leads the Big 12 in punts inside the 20.

As far as coaching goes, Bo Pelini has coached in these types of games before when he was defensive coordinator at LSU. So the atmosphere will not be new to him. And, he can always go to Tom Osborne for advice. Osborne does not meddle with Pelini's running of the team, but he isn't afraid to give Pelini direction, either. And Pelini doesn't have the ego that resents Osborne's advice and he acknowledges Osborne's dominance as a former Nebraska head coach by seeking his advice. On the other hand, until recently, the book on Mac Brown was that he was good for one or two wins each season that he shouldn't have won. On the other hand, Brown was also good for one or two losses each year that he shouldn't have lost.

You put it all together and Nebraska has a better than expected chance to beat Texas. On paper, the Longhorns should win and McCoy has a reputation of being a tough competitor who does not allow his teams to lose. But, games are not played on paper and McCoy, even with all of his fourth-quarter comebacks, has lost seven games as the Texas starting quarterback.

• 1 decade ago

Texas is on a roll right now. Their defense is number one in the country. Colt McCoy's passing percentage is around 72%, he has 23 TD passes. I realize Nebraska has a good D, but I just don't see an upset. Mack Brown is an outstanding coach. He prepares his team well and I don't think there will be a let down because if they win against Texas A&M and Nebraska they will play for the BCS Championship. PREDICTION: HORNS 45, HUSKERS 20.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

even if their defense manages to slow down the Texas offense.

Texas has the number one defense in the country, against an average off. they will eat them up.

Texas 34, Nebraska 14

• 1 decade ago

No Nebraska needs to stop colt McCoy

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It's by no means a certainty but I hope Texas wins! Love that Colt McCoy and Jordan Shipley. BTW ,,,,,I live in Austin!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hey, that's why they play the game. On any given day, any team can win. Even Nebraska. ------------------ Especially if the 'Horns overlook them. I'm not too certain that they're going to beat A & M.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i belive there is a chance however the defense needs to stop Colt McCole because he leads the total Texan offense

• 1 decade ago

Only if they can stop colt mccoy and he is a beast

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There will always be a chance.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.