Q for the more informed, educated, or scientifically literate Americans...?

Are you ashamed of the creationist movement in your country..?

How do you feel about the "creationist museums"..?

Do you consider educating young minds that science is false, and denying them the ability to have any informed discussion in all things scientific to be a form of child abuse, and/or a human rights issue..?

Is denying young people the option of informed dialogue with the rest of the informed and scientifically literate western world a hindrance to global peace and environmental and humanitarian issues..?

What would you like to see implemented to address this situation..?

Thank you

Favorite Answer

I'm horrified by the creationist movement. I used to be one of those people, so I have an extra level of shame.

The whole movement is fear-based. They're deeply suspicious of anything that smacks of intellectualism and highly xenophobic as well. Strange how those two always seem to go hand-in-glove. Yes, they are as opposed to global peace as radical jihadists.

My favorite part of your question is...how do we address the situation. I think the key thing is a free and open exchange of ideas. A free press is critical. We desperately need an informed and voting majority to keep supporting more humanistic ideas. Right now, we have a chance to take some steps forward, with a democratic congress and a fairly progressive President.

The more liberal members of government need to continue to press for change. They need to not sit back and allow the fly-over bible belt states dictate ideals to the rest of the country. We also need to continue to engage the youth of the country. College-ages and people in their 20s. They tend to be more liberal and as these people vote and get involved, public policies will reflect their more progressive views and stop reflecting the views of 75 year old sunday school teachers.

Yes, I find it embarrassing, especially when people have access to a good education. I speak as an American who holds an MS degree.

As for the creationist museum, I'm amused that some Christians apparently think this is what Jesus would do with $22 million. Not help the poor, or put the money into cancer research, but set up a building to make people believe (of all the "Biblical messages" they could have chosen) that humans and dinosaurs existed together.

As for the youth question, people are free to believe what they want, and zealots have the right to indoctrinate their children. But the simple fact of the matter is that some of the children of today will have to grow up to become the scientists of tomorrow. The fact that many of the college math and science classes are taught by professors from outside of the US, shows that this country is already short on producing great scientific minds. I'd rather not see my country still stuck in the 20th century by the time the year 2050 comes along.

• hertha

surprising question! the people you suggested are a minority, and a shrinking one. The technological calls for of the international are going to rigidity us into having larger academic standards via fact we isn't waiting to compete against India, China, and so on., if we don't. television reflects the subculture wherein it exists. Fiction is fiction - there have been on no account any "hobbits" interior the genuine international, however the "LOTR" tale is an incredible one that exhibits the importance of the willingness to sacrifice for an incredible reason. that's a metaphor for the efforts of the squaddies for the duration of WW2. i'm in contact with reference to using issues like ghosts, and so on., yet do you think of the scholars are staring at television? i do no longer think of television provides to people believing in something bizarre - i think of they might have faith in bizarre issues whether television did no longer exist. television additionally has academic channels, like PBS, TLC, and the invention Channel so there are innovations to staring at exhibits approximately werewolves and ghosts. maximum people understand that there is a distinction between a television instruct and certainty. those that don't are unlikely to be applicants for a Ph.D. or M.D. definite we do might desire to take a little time for extra medical literacy, however the those that have faith bizarre or nonsensical issues are shrinking in quantity via onset of the internet the place innovations is obtainable around-the-clock every day. There are nevertheless some web content committed to issues which at the instant are not making any experience from now on yet overall the vogue is for people to be extra knowledgeable approximately issues and it will proceed via fact in the event that they do no longer that's much less probable that they are going to proceed to exist and flourish interior the long-term. those with educations, extra often than no longer, tend to make very lots extra funds. With immediately's financial gadget being what that's you will discover why it particularly is not purely smart anymore - its a need. Starred question.

1. I'm ashamed of our educational system

2. Utter nonsense. It shouldn't be called a museum

3. It's the same as denying someone an education, which is immoral

4. It just makes the US less capable of competing with other nations

5. Teach critical thinking skills early in school & have better science standards

There are quite a few things going on in American today that are embarrassing. Not only in religion, but in politics, education, entertainment, business ... Egad, silliness is everywhere! I guess mass media and the Internet just make it all more visible and harder to hide.

It's an embarrassment, but the U.S. still has about half of the best universities in the world, so not all is lost. At least we know who will flip burgers for the student's not harmed by religious activism.

I'm as proud of it as the idea that some thought Sarah Palin would be president.

*cries a little*

I'd like to see evolution being offered more of a spotlight.

There's creationist museums? Wow. That's messed up. I'll have to tell my people to cool it.

It makes me think we'll deserve whatever we get as a result.

I decided that when Bush got elected a second time.

museum of evolution