please say any INTERESTING fact about Australia!?
i'm doing a project on Australia due tomorrow and i need interesting facts! anything, even if it's lame, like, that the capital is Canberra (plz don't say that since i just did) i'll take it and am giving points!
- cc_of_0zLv 71 decade agoFavorite Answer
1. Australia is one of the most urbanised countries, with about 80% of its citizens living in large coastal cities.
2. More than a third of all Australians alive today were not born in Australia.
3. Australia's first capital city was Melbourne, until they could officially decide where it would eventually be. Sydney and Melbourne have long been staunch rivals and each wanted to be the nations capital. All their bickering and fighting eventually led to the capital being built halfway between the two cities in Canberra.
4. The heaviest tonnage port (based on weight of what is shipped and not the number of ships) in Australia is not located in any of the major cities, but is located in the remote north of western Australia. That port is called Dampier. They ship Iron Ore, Liquified Natural Gas and Salt to Japan, China and other places around the world. The trains that cart the iron ore into the port of Dampier are amongst the longest in the world. A typical train would have 250 carriages (each one carrying 100 metric ton of Iron ore).
5. 80% of Australians marine animals occur nowhere else on earth.
6. The Argyle diamond mine in the Kimberley region of Western Australia is the only place in the world where they mine pink diamonds.
7. Western Australia's Kimberley region is named after a diamond mining city in South Africa of the same name.
8. The Sydney Opera house is the only man-made structure built in the 20th century to have an entry in the world heritage list.
9. South Australia is the only Australian state to never have received convicts.
10. Victoria is the most densely populated state in Australia.
11. Tasmania has more of its land devoted to National Parks than any other state in Australia (more than a third of its territory).
12. When South Australia was first colonised, the first location of choice for the state capital was Kangaroo Island (it was later switched to Adelaide).
13. The Tasmanian devil has the highest pressure bite (more than 5000 psi) than any other animal on earth.
14. The Koala Bear is not a bear, it is a Marsupial (similar to Kangaroos, Wombats and Possums).
15. Aboriginal tribal societies are the oldest civilisation on earth, their history dates more than 50,000 years. They were the first society on Earth to make primitive tools from stone.
16. Australia's highway route 1 is the longest (24,000 kms) national highway in the world. It travels through every state capital in the nation (there is an extension which travels through Tasmania) and circumnavigates the continent.
17. The great barrier reef is the world's largest living thing.
18. The longest, dead straight, stretch of railway line in the world crosses the Nullabor plain between Western Australia and South Australia. It is more than 400 kms long.
19. Australia's Dingo fence is the longest fence in the world, it is 5,614 kms long. It is twice as long as the Great Wall of China.
20. Every year Alice Springs holds the Henley-on-Todd regatta. It is modelled on the Henley Regatta in England. The most noticeable difference being that the Todd river is bone dry for most of the year, and the boats race on the dry river bed. The nearest body of navigable water to the event is more than 1000 kms away.Source(s): Australian ,,,^..^,,,
- 1 decade ago
You could say that we are a country with approximately 22 million people, most of which live in the state capital cities. We are culturally diverse, have a laid back sense of humour, most have a good work ethic, we are very very friendly, we welcome visitors warmly from overseas and we have a large migrant intake each year.
We have some of the world's most beautiful beaches, females, males and cute and unique animals. We have the world famous Great Barrier Reef, Sydney Harbour, Ayers Rock and rainforests like you will never see anywhere else in the world.
We have a diverse climate, and yes it does get hot but it depends where you are. It can also get pretty cool too in summer.
We are very proud nation who are proud and respectful of their heritage, albetit convict stock, and we are not racists, contrary to what a lot of other countries think.
I hope this helps you a little, good luck with your project.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
- 1 decade ago
I've heard that they have some of the deadliest spider and snakes in the world! And I found out it gets hotter than what I ever knew. Can't remember any of the facts but look those up. Also, England used to send prisoners to Australia. I think that's how it first started. And when you read about the snakes and spider and heat, I can understand now why prisoners were banished to this island! But love those accents!
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Anonymous5 years ago
It's the 6th largest nation (the USA is 4th) , though with a relatively tiny population. It's the only nation that is also a continent. The smallest, flattest and least populated continent. The driest populated continent. Largely unexplored and uninhabited, even now. The only English speaking country where voting is compulsory. Granny Smith apples originate from Oz.
- GamerpcLv 61 decade ago
No body has been able to find out how deep the water at The Blue Lake. Mt Gambier.
No matter how much water they take out, the water level stay's nearly the same all year.
The color of the water also changes during the year, and nobody knows why.
Cheers and good luck
- PelicansFanLv 51 decade ago
they have some cool accents and lots of kangaroos
- DanLv 71 decade ago
There are very many good looking gals there! Also, many of them hate procrastinators.