RHH: My extremely detailed thoughts on Hip-Hop and a question that most of you won't care about(PF).........?

Now it's in paragraphs so you can read it...... But after asking the pure skill question, it seemed like the conclusion was skills don't matter. If that is the case than here is something to think about. Read, answer and comment. When you look at it, Hip-Hop has always for the most part been based... show more Now it's in paragraphs so you can read it......

But after asking the pure skill question, it seemed like the conclusion was skills don't matter. If that is the case than here is something to think about. Read, answer and comment.

When you look at it, Hip-Hop has always for the most part been based solely on pure skills. Even from the earliest days it was which crew could out do what crew no matter what aspect you was looking at. Whether it was B-Boying, MCing, DJing, or even Graffiti, Hip-Hop has always been based on pure skills/talent. B-Boys battled, MCs battled, DJs battled, even Graf artist in a way battled with their art. The reason they battled was to determine who was superior based on pure skills: who had better rhymes, could scratch better, break, or graf better. That's why a lot of people say there is a difference between Hip-Hop and Rap Music to distinguish the fact that Hip-Hop isn't music.

Yeah when you look at who is a better musical artist you should only pay attention to the finished product (i.e the albums, songs, etc), but when you are talking MCs it's different (again why real cats distinguish the difference between a Rapper and an MC). Yes there is the obvious similarities between Rapper and MC: they both rap, they both could or not rap for a living(occupation) both could or not have skill. But you can't ignore the fact that there is a difference between a Rapper and an MC. Mostly the difference occurs in what they are rapping for.

A rapper raps for two reasons and only two reasons: just to rap or to make music, rather it is professionally or for fun, and for fun might just fall in the first category. But an MC raps first because they have talent, to prove their talent, for love, to spread a message, then the making music part comes latter down the road. For the most part though most of the weight falls on MCing for love. The love of what? The love of MCing and that's it. If you are MCing for any other reason other than the love of MCing than you are not an MC. Maybe someone with exceptional talent who did it because they have talent could be an exception though if they pursed their talent (that would be a rare case though usually if you are talented at something you love it).

Also a difference is obviously an MC belongs to Hip-Hop and a Rapper doesn't. If we are saying that we should only judge the finial product of Rap Music than we are ignoring the MCing part and are therefor only focusing on the Rap Music part (in other words taking the Hip-Hop out of Rap Music making it just Rap Music and not actually Hip-Hop). But that seems quite contradictory given that most people on here throw around the word Hip-Hop more than KRS-One. And also throw around the terms or phrases "lack of Hip-Hop knowledge" and "real Hip-Hop" a lot too. And even if you're not the type of person who uses the phrase "real Hip-Hop" most throw around the idea of one type of what they call "Hip-Hop" being better than what someone else likes which is really the same thing when you get down to it (or it could also be the same thing as saying there is no such thing as Hip-Hop only Rap Music, in specific cases).

So to finally get the the question, which is it? Do people just lack the knowledge of what Hip-Hop really is? Or do people just throw around the term so loosely that they often out of mistake just use the term Hip-Hop in place of Rap Music? I mean it could be that people just don't give a shyt about Hip-Hop too, if you are willing to take that side
Update: @ Bonnie, thanks but I couldn't disagree more. You are missing the entire essence of what Hip-Hop is by claiming that a Rapper=MC or that Hip-Hop=Rap Music. But it is purely an essence so I can't fault you for missing it. But there is 100% a difference and I'll put that on my life. It might not... show more @ Bonnie, thanks but I couldn't disagree more.

You are missing the entire essence of what Hip-Hop is by claiming that a Rapper=MC or that Hip-Hop=Rap Music.

But it is purely an essence so I can't fault you for missing it. But there is 100% a difference and I'll put that on my life. It might not be an easy difference to distinguish and it could be a very very very fine line but it is there.

Maybe that was the problem. Depending on how many people agree with your view point could determine whether or not that is the problem with Hip-Hop in general. Maybe people just can't define the essence.
Update 2: Maybe Hip-Hop for the most part is actually dead. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO