What is a word for something you can't do anything about?

So I'm writing an essay about Corruption in Slavery and I'm trying to think of a title, and you know how the slaves "couldn't do anything about it"....I can't find the word for that!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Kathy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The word you are looking for is 'impotent'. It means powerless; without the strength or power to do anything effective or helpful.

Some synonyms for impotent are: powerless, weak, helpless, incapable, ineffective.

A title could be something like - The Powerful and The Powerless

• 1 decade ago

Powerless, victims of circumstance

Hapless

adj.

hapless - deserving or inciting pity; "a hapless victim"; "miserable victims of war"

Irreconcilable may fit.

adj.

Impossible to reconcile

n.

1. A person, especially a member of a group, who will not compromise, adjust, or submit.

2. One of two or more conflicting ideas or beliefs that cannot be brought into harmony.

Definition two would apply here: Proslavery advocates vs. Anti-slavery advocates (the slaves were caught in the middle of this controversy and had no say so in the matter)

Suggestion for your title: Irreconcilable Differences

or

Irreconcilable Differences and Hapless Circumstances

• momomo
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Main Entry: inescapable, inevitable

Part of Speech: adjective

Definition: certain; cannot be avoided

Synonyms: all locked up, assured, binding, compulsory, decided, decreed, destined, determined, doomed, fated, fateful, fixed, for certain, foreordained, imminent, impending, in the bag, ineluctable, ineludible, inescapable, inexorable, inflexible, irresistible, irrevocable, necessary, no ifs ands or buts, obligatory, ordained, pat, prescribed, settled, sure, unalterable, unavoidable, undeniable, unpreventable, without recourse

Antonyms: avoidable, doubtful, escapable, fortuitous, preventable, uncertain, unlikely, unsure

Source(s): www.thesaurus.reference.com
  • jerryb
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Inevitable=will happen

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

o well is a good word or idk that helps to.... lol im just sayin stuff hope u can use it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.