Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 1 decade ago

Does reading manga really count as reading a book?

My english teacher was complaining the other day about how young kids these days don't read enough, and i was just wondering, does reading manga count? I mean, I read tons of them, so does that mean I read tons of books too? I know books are longer and have more words since they have to describe the setting whilst manga just show you the setting and all you have to do is read their thoughts and words but still, volumes and volumes of manga has gotta count for something, right? Books are just too boring XP Manga have better, more complicated plots and get to the point a lot faster ^^

Favorite Answer

it all depends on who u ask. technically definition-wise, the answer is no, manga r manga, not books; however, almost all of my english teachers in the past hav found that manga count; u just hafta read a lot mor of them, as they only hav about 100-340 words per volume, while books have at least 1000. if u wanna ask ur teacher, go ahead, but dont b surprised if they go "wats manga?" or sumthing. (lol)

nonetheless, i think it SHOULD count, i mean, it gets us reading, sdoesnt it? and manga hav a ton of vocabulary variety, since editors dont wanna b repetitive! ^^

Well technically a manga is a 'book', but that's just a very loose term for anything written on paper and is bound together. I think your teacher was actually complaining about how kids these days don't read enough in terms of novels, ie. literature.

So really, in this sense, manga doesn't count. Its purely for entertainment, as are comics, cartoons and anime. It doesn't help improve your english/vocabulary/grammer etc. in the way that reading a novel would.

And maybe you think books are boring, but you just haven't found the right one to read yet XD Books are just as good as manga, and I read them both because they're quite different.

Manga is not a book but a comic, but it counts as reading. I also think it counts as reading when you read the subbed episodes of an anime. But I can see where people disagree with that.

Well technically it does , i mean it is basically like a picture book so yeah it counts i mean i read them all the time too, they beat normal books by a freakin' long shot, so tell your English teacher to stick it. :D hope this helped you

-elly

• Fer sure ;D

It is in my class anyway,

its a story just formatted differently.

*Looks around.*

I tells you a Secret.

*Says quietly.*

A manga is like a comic in American term.

But it has cooler drawings. =D

~ Your perfect enemy

That's what I do. And it IS reading.