Sabina asked in TravelMexicoOther - Mexico · 1 decade ago

How old do you have to be in order to rent in Merida Mexico? To get a hotel room?

I'm planning a trip there with two friends. We have permission from parents to go, and we are all under 18. We're not going to drink or party--it involves three of the most responsible students at my school, including the valedictorian.

If we can go with out someone over the age of 18, that would be great, but if not we can add one more person.

Haha, thanks^^. I'm Mexican, and am v. aware of the mean of "legal" in Mexico. I'm trying to stay in the nicer part, seeing as I am bringing Gringos. Will the lack of 18 still apply then?

Favorite Answer

If you have money, you can stay. I was there when I was 18 with other people from 15-18 and no one had any problems. The "18" restriction doesn't really apply in Mexico.

The nicer hotels will want someone who is 18 or older. This has more to do with payment of the bill than anything else. I would have your parents contact the hotel or resort, make the reservation, and pre-pay with a credit card. That way you shouldn't have a problem.

Have a great time!

Source(s): retired in Mexico

You can be 16 or older, you will need to have a credit card to secure the rooms in case of damages, but you will still need some one older than 18 to be responsible for your behavior and conduct. Sorry!

18 is normal