Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

My little sister fed my puppy a whole mess of chocolate.will he be ok?

it was milk and dark chocolate.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    The toxic dose will vary from dog to dog, depending on a number of factors such as the weight of the dog and his or her metabolism level. The problem with chocolate is that it contains a substance known as theobromine, and this substance is toxic to dogs. This substance is part of the xanthnine compound, the same family that contains caffeine and theophylline.

    The good news is that it generally takes quite a substantial amount of chocolate to do the dog any harm. In general the toxic level of theobromine is between 100 and 150 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. It is important, of course to keep in mind that dogs will vary in their sensitivity to the compound, so it is still important to keep any and all chocolate in the house out of Fido’s reach.

    So how much does it take to show toxic effects in the typical dog. Listed below are some common types of chocolate, and the average toxic dose. Dogs that consume this much should be immediately taken to a veterinarian for evaluation.

    The average toxic dose of white chocolate is 200 ounces per pound of body weight. This means it would take approximately 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause clinical signs of poisoning for a 20 pound dog, and 125 pounds for a 10 pound dog. Luckily, few if any dogs will be able to consume this much.

    The toxic dose of milk chocolate is quite a bit lower, since milk chocolate contains a lot more of the troublesome chemical. The average toxic dose of milk chocolate is just one ounce per pound of body weight, meaning that a 10 pound dog may show clinical signs of poisoning after eating just 10 ounces. So if your dog just scarfed down that six pack of candy bars a trip to the vet may be in order. The toxic level of semi-sweet chocolate is similar to that of milk chocolate, so these treats should definitely be kept out of reach.

    Sweet cocoa can be even more dangerous to man’s best friend, with a toxicity level of just 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. That means it can take just a third of a pound to cause toxic effects to a 20 pound dog, and just half that for a 10 pound canine.

    Baking chocolate is the most dangerous of all, with a toxic level of a mere 0.1 ounce per pound of body weight. The dog that gets into the baking chocolate should be seen by a veterinarian immediately, since toxic effects can occur at just one ounce for a 10 pound dog.

    Those pet owners concerned that their dog has swallowed a toxic amount of chocolate should be on the lookout for the clinical signs of chocolate toxicity. It is important to carefully monitor the dog, since it can be difficult to determine how much chocolate was consumed.

    The clinical signs dog owners should watch for include:

    Excitability

    Irritability

    Increase in heart rate

    Increased urination

    Restlessness

    Vomiting

    Diarrhea

    Muscle tremors

    It is also important for dog owners to have an emergency kit on hand, and to make sure that the emergency kit contains activated charcoal. Activated charcoal is a fine powder that has the ability to bind to many different kinds of poisons, making it an essential part of any pet emergency kit.

    Those pet owners who suspect that their dog has eaten a toxic amount should be on the lookout for any of the clinical signs shown above, and if poisoning is suspected the vet should be contacted immediately. Only a veterinarian can determine the best course of action in the event of chocolate toxicity.

    Before contacting the vet it is important to gather as much information as possible, including the type of chocolate consumed, the suspected amount and how much time has passed since ingestion. This information will help the vet determine the best type of treatment.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    The only snake that would be large enough to eat a puppy (unless it was a Chihuahua puppy) would have to be one that is over 8 feet in length. Safe handling practices for constrictors that size including a cage with a key lock, and NEVER opening the cage at all without another knowledgeable person being present. Most certainly not letting the animal roam around in a room unattended. Yes, they ARE strong. If your sister was unable to unwrap the snake, she should not own this animal. What would she do if the snake mistakenly struck her when she was feeding it, and wound up around her neck? The answer to that question is obvious. Yes, these animals CAN be very powerful, and should be respected. They do not kill prey by suffocating it, as was once believed--they actually cut off blood flow to the brain, so the animal loses consciousness within seconds, rather than minutes. Animals like this should only be kept by responsible keepers. The folks who aren't responsible make all reptile keepers look bad, and lead to bans and negative legislation. To remove a constrictor that is constricting something, grab it by the tail and unwind it from there.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Most people assume that if a cat or dog eats chocolate, it will die. That is ABSOLUTELY NOT true! My old dog Buddy used to eat chocolate all the time, my cat Salem ate a whole thing of chocolate pudding, and my friends dog Colbey at a chocolate easter bunny! They all lived long happy lives! Your dog will be fine, the worse that can happen is he will puke or have dieria. But don't worry, it's nothing serious.

    Source(s): Future Veteranarian. Been in the same situation.
  • 1 decade ago

    it depends on the dog. Chocolate can be fatal to a lot of breeds. I suggest taking the puppy to the vet.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    Well what type of dog is it? Big or little? If it is big you should Let him rest and give him some pumpkin (I know it sounds weird but it works: canned pumpkin work for all dogs with diarrhea). if it is a small dog, call the vet. Dogs that are smaller

    could get seriously sick. But don't worry get canned pumpkin lay him down and let him rest while you get the phone to call the vet.

    Source(s): This has happened to my big dog ( 130 lbs)
  • 1 decade ago

    Yes he will be fine. Most dogs don't die and actaully only 5% have died. For saftey reasons keep a watch on him. If anything funky goes on with him take him to the vet. I'll be glad to let you know that he will be fine the worse thing that can happen is puke or have dieria. Other wise theres no reason to worry

    Hope this helped

    Your welcome!

  • 1 decade ago

    my dog ate a massive piece of chocolate and she was fine. If there is no reaction she will be fine but if she has a reaction take her to the vets

  • 1 decade ago

    Your dog should be ok my dog ate chocolate last week and he is but to be on the safe side keep a watch on him.

  • PitGrl
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    Take your dog and put him in your bathtub. You get a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, and a syringe if you have one; anything that will make your dog drink the peroxide. This is what the vet will tell you to do to get your dog to vomit up the chocolate. This will also save you a hefty vet bill.

    Dog + Hydrogen Peroxide = Vomiting up chocloate!

    Source(s): Dog who ate a whole mess of medication that spilled on the floor (dang child proof caps)
  • 1 decade ago

    mabye i suggest going to a vet though most dogs stumuchs cant handle chocolate

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.