What are Salvation Army's views on alcohol?

Question pretty self explanatory...

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Sam
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Salvation Army's view on Alcohol and Drugs

The Salvation Army accepts that many drugs beneficial to health can produce addiction. Only the physician can weigh the advantages and the risks attendant on their prescription for each patient.

The deliberate misuse of any drugs to induce either oblivion or hallucinatory states is condemned. The physical, mental and emotional disturbances due to such misuse are well known to Salvation Army personnel, who will continue to offer treatment to the victims of addiction, realizing that such practices stem from deep emotional and spiritual problems and are peculiarly common in young persons.

By far the most common drug addiction is to alcohol, and this addiction is on the increase in most parts of the world. The Salvation Army, recognizing both spiritual and temporal dangers inherent in the use of alcoholic beverages, has historically required total abstinence of its soldiers and officers. While not condemning those outside its ranks who choose to indulge, it nevertheless believes total abstinence to be the only certain guarantee against overindulgence and the evils attendant on addiction.

We believe that there exists a direct connection between the incidence of addiction and the easy availability of alcoholic beverages and the increasing social acceptance of their consumption. We are, therefore, active in supporting legislation likely to reduce the consumption of alcohol.

While attitudes toward both the cause and treatment of alcoholism have changed radically in the past 100 years, The Salvation Army, which maintains large treatment programs in many parts of the world, still believes that total abstinence is the only successful course open to an addict. Its programs use the best of medical and psychological treatment, but realizing that, in most instances, profound social and moral issues are involved, they draw on a long experience in social rehabilitation in which the power of God unto salvation has proved the most effective agent of character change and therefore the most effective force in rehabilitation.

• 4 years ago

Salvation Army Alcohol

• 1 decade ago

Very anti. The Salvation Army requires all its members to abstain from alcohol. This comes from its roots in the British Methodist church (it was founded by a methodist minister) which also traditionally stands for teetotallism, though it has never required its members to be total abstainers as the Salvation Army does.

• YY4Me
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

A friend of mine used to work for them. She told me that a lot of the employees drank and/or smoked pot, stole money, postage stamps (by the hundreds), furniture, baby carriages, etc. that people donated. It's why she finally left the organization. She was an atheist, and couldn't stand the hypocrisy.

Source(s): . ~ "A mind is a terrible thing to waste." ~ .
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • m.mike
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

...Go check out a Salvation Army shelter and see what alcoholic does to people.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They seem to like it.

Whenever I go into a pub on a Friday night,there are always a couple of them in there.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

When I see some of them around Christmas time, I'd say they are okay with it.

• 15 men on the dead man's chest yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

EVIL!

Everything is evil.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.