Canada spent $172Billion on Healthcare in 2008 ... So why would it be cheaper in the US?

If Canada spent $172Billion in 2008 alone..... How can the US expect the Healthcare here to cost less? Averages to $5200 per person in Canada. http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=18...

Under the bills before the senate, the US is expecting it to cost just under 1Trillion dollars for 6 years of coverage, for 10 TIMES as many people that live in the US compared to Canada. So how is the US Bills going tocover 10times as many people, yet cost less?

The math just doesnt add up. Are we going to start having to say "Healthcare created or saved" ?

Update:

Future -

Read up on the Healthcare bill in the US.

The taxes and paying for the healthcare starts in 2010, BUT coverage doesnt start till 2014, and projects the cost till 2020. Thats only 6 years of coverage, while paying for it for 10 years. Please educate yourself on these parts of the bill. Thanks

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Canada has a population of 33 million. So, for 33 million people to be covered, they spent $172 billion.

Now, for the US government to insure 310 million Americans what would the cost be?

We'd spend somewhere around close to 10 times the $172 billion Canada spent.

So 10 X $172 billion = WHAT?

I'm sure you can afford it ;)

• 1 decade ago

First of all, the USA is not going to get the same system as Canada. Second, Canada spends less on health per person than the USA, but because the system is run more efficiently, get better outcomes. And third, if reform is not put in place, then costs will be even higher than that the Democrats reform bill cost.

FACT - Insurance companies in the USA admit to pushing up prices, buying politicians and not paying out claims when they should [1]

FACT - PER PERSON the USA spends more on healthcare than any other nation on the planet [2]

FACT - Obama debated his plans before the election for healthcare [3]

FACT - the chance of a child under five of dying in the USA is greater than industrialised nations with universal health coverage [4]

FACT - Obama was elected by the American people to bring in change [5]

FACT - Obama wants to stop insurance companies from screwing American [6]

FACT - The reforms Obama wants work in the Netherlands and Switzerland [7]

Let me know if my facts are wrong, but please provide proof.

• 1 decade ago

Rank Country

1 France

2 Italy

3 San Marino

4 Andorra

5 Malta

6 Singapore

7 Spain

8 Oman

9 Austria

10 Japan

11 Norway

12 Portugal

13 Monaco

14 Greece

15 Iceland

16 Luxembourg

17 Netherlands

18 United Kingdom

19 Ireland

20 Switzerland

21 Belgium

22 Colombia

23 Sweden

24 Cyprus

25 Germany

26 Saudi Arabia

27 United Arab Emirates

28 Israel

29 Morocco

30 Canada

Why compare it with the 30th best system?

Source(s): I bet you've hardly even used the eraser on the end of your chewed-up #2 pencil.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You're right that the math doesn't add up. Look at states that have state run health care. They're broke! Or quickly getting there. Obama wants America to follow suit. He doesn't care about getting people health coverage. He is in it for the power grab. Anyone who sees it any differently is a fool.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

fortheim...

You have no idea what you are talking about. We have excellent care here in Canada. I've lived in the states and I've had claims denied and that is a horrible experience I will never again have to deal with. Your system sucks, it needs to be reformed. Our system may not be perfect (what is?) but it is WAY better than what you have there.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The average American WITH healthcare insurance already pays about that much here.

Don't forget the millions who have been denied coverage and care!

But that probably includes lots of infrastructure costs with the US ALREADY PAYS via things like grants to hospitals and universities for research - so I don't think it will cost as much as you are saying.

And that's for 10 years coverage - not 6 years.

• Sam
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Every person in Canada is covered from the time they are born, don't you think we deserve that here?

• 1 decade ago

You need to revise things a little, Canada spent all that cash on an INFERIOR health care system.

Sure everyone is equal.

Equal to have sucky health care.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

So how many times are you going to repeat this until you start believing that it's true?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.