Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

i need help from people who have finshed college. and in a computer degree that would be great but its k if no?

ok so i want to become a gaming programmer and i want to know what degrees i should get.. in what order... what colleges u think... also do i have to get and associates or can i get just the bachelors and remember what bachelors degree and masters if u dont mind??? thanks for helping me with my life!

an* and its ok if you dont have a computer degree

haha ok thanks wahid now could u answer my question. i have decided programming. why? i'm good at math following orders making things work. i suck at making storys. i suck at art so all design u said is destoried. im better then c service. testing super fun but not as rewarding as im looking for. im bad with sound could never pole things apart. i never like making stuff for people doing what i want to do like making a dirt bike is not as fun as riding one. and video editing could be cool and i could learn that and would be my 2end choice b.c. once its done there is no fixing it. programs allow u to make mistakes. so can u peace send me ur answer of my question please lol.

Favorite Answer

There are many aspects to creating a computer game that you should be aware of. Most people just think of the programming. But there is the concept creation, the story writing, the graphics design, the video editing, the audio production, the testing, the hardware requirements and design, the manual writing, the website designing, the database designing, the customer service, and I could probably fill up this whole answer with more if I kept going. The programming is just one small part of any successful project including games.

You need to first decide if you are more interested in programming or in creating a game. For myself, I studied electrical engineering and have spent the last 20 years as a software engineer. I found it was a good idea to write a simple game program when I was teaching myself C++. I did the same thing years later when I wanted to learn test-driven development.

Remember when you are studying to try to apply what you are learning. I have interviewed people with PhDs who did not know what they were doing. And I have interviewed people with just a high school education who were the best hire. It all depends on your skills. You can learn at any school as long as you keep this in mind and do your best. It all starts with a clear understanding of what you really want.

Almost any college offers programs in computer science. I would stay away from schools that advertise teaching game programming specifically; they are just trying to get your money and will likely just provide a brief overview or just teach you how to use a software package for simple game designing. A good game will involve physics, graphics, audio, communications, etc and any one of these can go deep enough to keep a top engineer busy full time. You will likely want to specialize in one of these areas.

If you go with an associates degree, you will have a harder time getting an interview but if you specialize like I suggest and bring along a project you have worked on, that will make it easier to get a job.

If you decide to get a bachelors degree, you will be paying much more for school but will get a deeper education especially in the areas of algorithm design and data structures. If you go with this, then don't worry about the associates degree, just focus on this one.

To get a masters degree, you will first need your bachelors degree. By this time, you will know what is best for you.

Another option is to skip college entirely and teach yourself. You will find it harder to get an interview because most companies filter candidates so they don't have to waste time with people who don't have the skills. I personally know of one senior engineer at Microsoft who has only a high school education. But you would never know that if you examined the work done. The reason is because anybody can learn with enough determination and resourcefulness.

My advice is to pick one of these paths and don't worry so much about which school. You will get from any school the basic education. Technology is progressing too fast for colleges to keep up with the latest languages and frameworks. It was common at Microsoft for us to think of a software tool or library to be outdated when from the outside, customers were still waiting for it and it was still new.

I taught myself almost everything I know about programming and did it through trial and error, reading magazines such as the C++ Report and the Microsoft Systems Journal. That was a long time ago and the MSJ is now called MSDN and I don't know if the C++ Report is still published. But there are technical magazines that will publish information faster than books and years faster than colleges.