How does one write maturely without using the nouns "my" and "I".?

I'm writing a personal essay. In my experience a tone of immaturity rises with the use of the noun "I" and "my". I find it complicating to make the essay sound personal and my own without using these nouns. Any tips on how to write without these words will help.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Maggie
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I had the same problem, except that my professor cared only if I STARTED a sentence with

"I" (not "my" so much)

Heres how I fixed it: Write the sentence the way it comes to you. Then reword it to save the meaning of the sentence without using I or my to start the sentence. See which way to can switch words around or substitute for beter word. Read it aloud and proofreadlit.

Example: I looked out of my window yesterday and saw a very unusual bird.

*To change it:

Yesterday,upon looking out of the kitchen window, there on the railing was a very unusual bird.

Example: I didn't want to go to a movies Sunday, but my mother did.

*To change it:

Sunday my mother and I went to the movies. Initially I didn't want to go, but my mother let me pick the movie.

Source(s): Hope this helps!
  • Kevin
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

While a lot of English professors will tell you "NEVER USE I," This is not alwas the case. If you are writing about a first-hand experience, or talking about yourself, or your plans specifically, it clearly is most appropriate to use the first-person (I, me, my, etc.). The only time you want to avoid these is when you are writing a research or opinion based piece, or if you are telling a story in which you are not involved.

• 1 decade ago

Take yourself out of the equation and write on the subject itself, not your experience with it. You can still get across your opinion. Like this:

My cat is crazy!

or

Cats are crazy!

You can also use the pronoun "one." Like this:

After several years with a domesticated cat, one will realize cats are crazy.

See the website below. They'll help you sort it all out.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.