How does one write maturely without using the nouns "my" and "I".?

I'm writing a personal essay. In my experience a tone of immaturity rises with the use of the noun "I" and "my". I find it complicating to make the essay sound personal and my own without using these nouns. Any tips on how to write without these words will help.

• Maggie
    Favorite Answer

I had the same problem, except that my professor cared only if I STARTED a sentence with

"I" (not "my" so much)

Heres how I fixed it: Write the sentence the way it comes to you. Then reword it to save the meaning of the sentence without using I or my to start the sentence. See which way to can switch words around or substitute for beter word. Read it aloud and proofreadlit.

Example: I looked out of my window yesterday and saw a very unusual bird.

*To change it:

Yesterday,upon looking out of the kitchen window, there on the railing was a very unusual bird.

Example: I didn't want to go to a movies Sunday, but my mother did.

*To change it:

Sunday my mother and I went to the movies. Initially I didn't want to go, but my mother let me pick the movie.

Source(s): Hope this helps!
  • Kevin

While a lot of English professors will tell you "NEVER USE I," This is not alwas the case. If you are writing about a first-hand experience, or talking about yourself, or your plans specifically, it clearly is most appropriate to use the first-person (I, me, my, etc.). The only time you want to avoid these is when you are writing a research or opinion based piece, or if you are telling a story in which you are not involved.

Take yourself out of the equation and write on the subject itself, not your experience with it. You can still get across your opinion. Like this:

My cat is crazy!

or

Cats are crazy!

You can also use the pronoun "one." Like this:

After several years with a domesticated cat, one will realize cats are crazy.

See the website below. They'll help you sort it all out.