Probie
Probie asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Do you prefer to read first-person or third-person.?

I'm writing a novel, but I can't paint a full picture because I'm writing it in first-person.

Do you prefer first-person or third-person?

• ?
    Best Answer

My personal preference is 3rd person.

I have read a few 1st person stories, and I must say, I'm not a fan of that point of view. I don't like being so close into a character's mind that everything is from their perspective alone. I am currently reading the "Cirque du Freak" series, and that is written in 1st person, which, like I've said before, is too close for my personal preference. However, I do believe that the 1st person POV works for some stories. Like in "Cirque du Freak", 1st person POV works for those books...if it were in 3rd person, though it would better for my personal preference, it would not be good for the story. 1st person just works for it.

I like to read and write in 3rd person because you can focus on a main character. The author can show the reader what's going on inside of his head while staying "far enough away" that you're not invading his thoughts the entire time. You have free reign to move from character as the story goes along. In 1st person, you kind of have to stay with one person.

That's my two cents on the matter!

There are uses for both first and third person, and depending on the kind of story you're writing and how your key moments are set up, first person may or may not be most appropriate.

Lately I've found myself reading a lot more first person stories, but that has more to do with the authors I'm reading than anything else. If the writing is good, and the story is compelling, the perspective you choose to write from isn't likely to chase anyone away.

I like first person. It has a sense of intamacy and urgency that 3rd person cannot give. You mention that your problem is you cant 'paint a full picture' - why is that? You can paint whatever picture your character sees (or is told about from another character). If you need to know a conversation between 2 people that arent your character in order to drive the story forward, then you need to use 3rd person as that will allow you to address that. You cannot really describe anything that your character hasnt seen, thought or been told about if you are writing in 1st person.

The beauty of 1st person is that your reader will find things out at the same rate your character does, this means they go on a journey WITH your character, as opposed to just observing your character from afar in 3rd person.

• Yo

Third person is interesting it give a new aspect on someones perspective. It is difficult to give feeling with first person but some writers can pull it off.

Source(s): Good Luck. What is your novel about?

I prefer 3rd person, but enjoy both. I think 3rd person gives you a larger sense of the whole story, not a limited, one-sided perspective.

I just really love to read :)

No real preference, as long as the author knows what they're doing. If you forced me to pick, I'd probably go for third person, as it has more flexibility.

• ?

I prefer third person limited.

Meaning it's in third person but focuses solely on the protagonist.

• Willow

I prefer 1st person because I can get a better view of how they think and their emotions are better portrayed. In my opinion of course.

Honestly, I don't even notice how it's written. As soon as I start to read... All the details escape. It doesn't matter how it's written, who wrote it... It just becomes real.

I think both can be great if they're written well and to their fullest potential. I have no real preference.